Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VGA on Laptop faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

aminat

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2003
CA
The VGA port (15 Port)on my laptop is faulty, it's an IBM laptop.
Can I replace the VGA or I need to replace the whole motherboard?.
Please help it's urgent.

Unfortunately, in most cases you have to replace the entire motherboard, as the VGA connector is soldered or built-in to the motherboard.

On some notebooks the inverter [interface] between the motherboard and the LCD panel will be behing the bezel around the panel, should be replaceable. There is a point somewhere that the data ribbon from the motherboard to the panel can be disconnected so the complete lid can be removed and it's usually a socket on the motherboard.

I take it that you are referring to the port on the back to connect an external monitor to, not the internal connector that drives the LCD, correct?

Assuming that, how do you know it is defective? Often this port must be turned on in the bios, so if you are just not getting any output you may want to check there.

My apology, had too many browser windows open and got my response in the wrong thread.

Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for your help, I think it's a MB issue.
I will try and replace it, but before I do Iwill check the BIOS once again as mhkwood suggested
It was working fine before with the external monitor,the problem just started.
I will try and replace it and get back to you guys,

/Aminat

I missed one thing being mentioned, most Notebooks have an Fn key that is used in conjunction with another key with markings of the same color. Could be Contrast, Brightness, Volume, etc. On mine Fn & F5 toggles between LCD, CRT, or both. F5 has a square and a vertical line on each side of the same color as the Fn key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back