Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFPODBC.DLL on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejanj

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
AU
Hi guys,
I have developed CLient Server app with backend database being VFP7 and Client is accessing data via ODBC.

Everything is fine on Clients machine running Win9x, NT4, NT2000 but if it is running on XP... Client software is reporting ODBC error.

Client interface is done in VFP7. EXE program is compiled with VFP7 SP 1.

Are there any known issues with VFPODBC.DLL driver running on XP? I have included in my setup routine for the CLient VFPODBC.DLL ver 6.01.8629.01 from 7-12-1999.

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks
Dejan

Dejan,
That ODBC driver was written for VFP 6.0, and was the end-of-the-line for MS ODBC support for FoxPro. For VFP 7 & 8, MS supplies a OLEDB provider, and only they can access some of the newer database features. While the OLEDB client is currently only available if you purchased VFP 7/8, it was recently announced that there will publicly available updated version real-soon-now.

I am curious though why you are using ODBC to access VFP data in a VFP 7.0 SP1 application.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your response. The idea was that at some stage we will be porting to SQL Server so i wanted to be prepeared.
Are you saying i can't use XP client with VFPODBC driver?

Dejan

Dejan,
No, while I've not used the VFP ODBC driver in VFP, I have used them under Access on XP and haven't run into any problems. The data in this case though was 2x tables and VFP 5.0/6.0 free and DBC based tables - not VFP 7.0/8.0 tables.

Consider upgrading to VFP 8.0, the new cursor adaptor makes it "easy" to switch data sources with just a few property changes.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back