Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP9 won't start because of "insufficient memory"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyletreyfield

Technical User
Jun 12, 2008
US
I’ve spent at least 12 hours going trying various things and researching online, but I cannot figure it out. I've been using VFP for over 20 years and never had this problem or anything close to it.

I can/t start VFP9 on my server because of 'insufficient memory'. Specific Message is: 'Visual FoxPro cannot start. Insufficient Memory[ul]
[li][/li]
[/ul]." Taskmgr says that there is a bunch of memory and there is a ton of hard disk space for the swap/pagefile.

Here's what I've tried:

Reallocating pagefile memory
Reinstalling VFP (5 times while trying things)
Couple of RegEdit things suggested in forums
Defrag hard disk

It all started when I ran out of space on the "C:\" drive and had to delete some files (just log files and .tmp files) to clear up some space. It is possible I deleted a crucial file, but what could it be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You say you have "a ton of hard disk space for the swap/pagefile.". But are you confident that the swap file actually exists? It would normally be located in the root directory of the drive from which you boot into Windows, and will be named pagefile.sys. In order to see it, you may need to enable File Manager to display hidden files, which you do under Folder Options > View.

Failing that, check that the directory containing VFP9.EXE is accessible and not read-only. And especially that it is not under Program Files or Program Files (x86), as Windows might prevent VFP from writing to those directories.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I should also have mentioned to check the size of pagefile.sys. In fact, the file will almost certainly exist, as Windows probably would not load without it. But check that it is big enough. (On my system, with a 300 GB C: drive, I have 2GB allocated to the page file.)

Mike

I do have pagefile on the hard drive. Here are my settings for both c and d:
Capture_ncjnm7.png

As far as the directory, VFP9.exe is in a directory called "Microsoft Visual Foxpro 9", which is under program files (x86). The directory is read only, and if I try to change it, it keeps coming back. I've always had this same setup and never had any problems.

I would suggest to delete your foxuser.dbf, at least rename it, so a VFP start creates a new one.

Is there a config.fpw file in your VFP directory? It's worth looking into it, whether you have defined some start code that causes this problem directly or indirectly.

Chriss

Thanks all. I've tried all these things but to no avail. I even tried re-installing on a different drive. Usually most programs have log files that are used to diagnose problems. Where would I look to see a log file for when VFP wouldn't start because of insufficient memory? I'm hoping that file will hold some clues?

I even tried re-installing on a different drive.

Where on the drive? If you installed it in a folder beneath Program Files (x86), you will be up against the same issue. VFP needs to write to certain files on start-up, and by default those files are in VFP's home directory. But, since Vista, Windows prevents programs from writing to directories under Program Files and Program Files (x86).

The usual advice is therefore to install VFP in a folder in the root of the drive (or anywhere else away from Program Files, etc.).

Mike

kyletreyfield said:
I've tried all these things

Have you searched every foxuser.dbf on your system?

A new instllation will not remove that problem as the foxuser dbf is by default stored within the user profile and that doesn't change with a reinstallation, if it's broken, causing that error, it stays brokens and stays causing that error.

Chriss

Sometimes reducing the amount of memory will help. That worked in VFP3. A long long time ago.

Hello kyletreyfield,

If you have not VFP installation in your pc and you keep your VFP runtimes in your application folder itself,
please check if you have all necessary files in place. A typical list will be as follows:

vfp-minimal_hhcumr.png

All files above may not be essential though.

Even if you think, you have installation and files are missing, keep these in your application folder.
Then, the application should take these files from there itself.

Rajesh

Hi
I think it's better to use system managed size instead of custom size in virtual memory settings or choose automatically manage paging file size for all drive option.
yahya

A simple way to find out whether it is profile related is to create a new local user account and start VFP from it.

Chriss

Reassign authorizations. I had a similar problem a few years ago. The administrator has once again assigned data authorizations to the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back