Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP9-SP2 Help not appearing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRB-Bldr

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
Based on the TT Search results, this is an OLD problem, but it has "raised its ugly head" once again.

I just set up a new Win10 64-bit workstation with VFP5, VFP7, and VFP9-SP2 on it.

All of the VFP's seem to work fine with the exception of VFP9's Help file not appearing when requested from the VFP9 Command window.

I first confirmed that the VFP7 Help file opens just fine from the VFP7 Command window when requested and it is clearly labeled as the VFP 7 Help.

Next I have confirmed that VFP9-SP2's dv_foxhelp.chm file exists in the directory where the VFP9-Tools-Options-File Locations-Help File 'tells' VFP9-SP2 to look for it.

I then confirmed that if I manually go to that directory and double click on the dv_foxhelp.chm file directly it opens just fine.

Finally I tried to follow the multiple suggestions listed in the various TT Search results for the problem (although most of them were for a down-level version of VFP) and none of them resolved the problem.

When I go to the VFP9-SP2 Command window and type HELP - nothing happens.

After so many years of working with VFP I shouldn't actually need the Help system, but sometimes I still need a reminder.

Any other suggestions on how to get the VFP9 Help working from the Command window?

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

JRB,

Right at the start of this thread, you said you don't often need to use the Help, which I can understand given your experience.

For what it's worth, I almost never open the Help from within VFP. I have a shortcut to the CHM on my Windows Quick Launch bar. I open it when I boot the computer (which is about once a week), and simply leave it open the whole time. That way, I can access the Help even if VFP isn't running. Why would I want to do that? To help me answer questions on Tek Tips and elsewhere.

I know that won't help you to know that, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I just looked at what happens in task manager, if I start the help of VFP: foxhhelp9.exe is running, started by OLE automation, which requires foxhhelp9.exe to be registered. So you bark up the wrong tree here, trying to get HH.EXE going. There might be a dependency about it, but I'd say your foxhhelp9.exe isn't registered.

Did you bring over VFP from an old system to your current PC? Have you started vfp9.exe /regserver from a cmd.exe started as admin? And the same for foxhhelp9.exe /regserver?
Turning off UAC and running in an account with administrative permission does not start an exe in elevated mode. You have to start as admin. It's easiest for the cmd.exe as there is a start option for that in the start menu, if you right click on the lower left window icon.

Mike, one advantage of being able to start up VFP help from within VFP9 is not just starting it with F1 as usual, but selecting a keyword in code or command window and launching that topic with F1.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf - You did it AGAIN !!!!!
NOTE: That is not, in any way, to be-little Mike's and Griff's numerous examples of great advice/suggestions over the years.

Olaf said:
Did you bring over VFP from an old system to your current PC?
I had done a completely new installation of VFP9 onto this new workstation.

But I had not done the
Code:
VFP9.EXE /regserver
or​
Code:
FoxHHelp9.EXE /regserver
that you suggest.

So just now I went into CMD as Administrator and executed those command lines from within the VFP9 directory.

Next I went into my VFP9 and typed HELP into the Command window.
SUCCESS

Funny, I never had to do any of that before in any previous Windows OS.
Why I needed to do so this time is still a mystery, but not one that I wish to pursue any further.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

If you installed normal, this shouldn't be necessary, it's two steps you do, if you bring over a VFP installation by copying the Home() folder (and some more of syswow64 and program files/microsoft shared/vfp)
Maybe other things went wrong in the installation, too. Maybe the installation wasn't elevated.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back