Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP9 exe file for distribution ... HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryUrb

Programmer
Oct 3, 2005
CA
I have built an exe file using the VFP9 build program. VFP9 built the exe without erros but when I execute the file from the PC's 'Run', it does not display or appear to be running. If I check the programs that are running in the background, it is activated. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the suggestion but the forementioned thread did not really address my issue. What I found was that if I moved my exe file into it's own directory along with it's dbf files, it would execute but it is now looking for a prg file which is in fact, a library. The library shows as part of the build. Any suggestions or thoughts?

In way of explaination, I am using a serial port utility which comes with a dll file. The API library is called cvf50.fll. When I used the utility with VPF9, it works great but when running the exe, it prompts me for cvf50.prg. That's the scoop. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

The site doesn't work. Anyway, I'm asking how do you call the functions from this fll. Did you do
set library to ... additive where fll is included into the project?

The sites page says its for VFP 5,6 & 7, but maybe they have not updated their page
Having said that:
In your first program, after making sure All paths are set, put the following:
Set Library To cvf50.fll Additive

Hi ilyad,
The software comes with a dll file. For VFP to run it requires the dll file to be in the same directory. This software runs fine when I run my main program from the command line.
I think there is something incorrect in how it is looking at the files. When I run the exe file, it says it can not find it and when I say "ignor" it then looks for a dbc file instead of the dbf file I have made.

The Magna Carta link is working when I double clicked on it.
Terry

ilyad,
I went back and checked, there is a corresponding fll file which I missed putting in the distribution directory. I will try that. Tnx.

Ok, that worked when I put the fll file into the same directory as the .exe file.
Now it is saying it can't find a path to my data files. When I use the "Locate" it is looking for a dbc file.
This is something new for me. :)

Where do you set paths to your data?

I tried again the web site and it says "Under construction" for me. Not sure, why. I'm running IE7.

Best of luck to you in solving the problems.

When I run VFP from the command window, I use the "Set Default to" ... my directory where my development resides. I did not have a define it in code. Is this something I need to do?

The web site comes up fine on mine and does not show "Under Construction". Are you double clicking on the link?

Works now from me too at work. I think yesterday I was right-clicking and selecting new window to open the link.

I usually have SET PATH at the top of my main program to set data directory and others...

I will try it. Also, it seems with VFP .dbf and .dbc are used for data files. I have made .dbf files and they work with my software when started from the command window. But when the .exe is activated it is looking for a .dbc file and will not read the .dbf files. Any thoughts?

ilyad,
I did use "Set Path to" but I did not use the folder. Does this allow VFP to look in the current directory? or do I have to use SET PATH TO Wolf1000S (Wolf1000S is the current directory C:\Wolf1000S?

I did use "Set Path to" but I did not use the folder. Does this allow VFP to look in the current directory? or do I have to use SET PATH TO Wolf1000S (Wolf1000S is the current directory C:\Wolf1000S?

You do not have to include the current directory in the path. VFP searches there first.

pamela

In conclusion to this tread, you will be happy to know that the problems I have been having were related to VPF's links to the dbc files. Once the links were broken from the dbc, the software would look at the dbf files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back