Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP9 and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsnead

Programmer
Sep 3, 2005
CA
I just upgraded to a new computer with VISTA and have many problems with VFP (that used to work in XP).

1. When I try to compile a program and create an exe - get error message "Cannot find the menu-generation program".
2. When I change the compiler settings to create win32 exe, recompile all display errors - it loses these settings when I exit and go back in.

I have tried reinstalling VFP and SP1. Only thing I haven't done yet is install SP2.

Any ideas on this?

I found another thread with similar info - it seems that my options are not all set. I modified the menubuilder location to c:\program files\microsoft visual foxpro 9\genmenu.prg and fixed that error.

I am going to set up my old computer and look at settings to see if I can fix other stuff. Hope this helps someone else.

I tried setting all the appropriate paths in options and clicked set default on each one. When I quit foxpro and comeback in - all are gone......... back to any ideas?

VFP9 will work properly(ish) in Vista.

You probably need to be logged in as Administrator to get your settings to save reliably.

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi Griff - I am set up as administrator - interestingly enough - I deleted the vfp icon from my task bar, went to program menu and dragged vfp to task bar - voila - it started using my settings. The only thing different - the original had startin directory as c:\work wheras the new vfp has "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9\" as startin - but the resource file is in c:\work....

Hi

That's interesting.

I use a link from my quick launch thingie.

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Vista is weird.... I just renamed a directory, changed my quicklaunch to new directory , modified exe and icon so have correct directory and it is still trying to use the original settings - it must put an entry in the registry or some secret place - I created a new shortcut with new directory settings now is ok... Vista is less than just a pretty face.

Sam,

This is all down to virtualisation. Because an application can no longer write to Program Files, the system is intercepting the attempts to write to the resource file in the VFP home directory, and is sending them to somewhere in your application data directories.

It's just one more interesting little quirk designed to keep us bright and alert.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Because we are no longer able to write to Program Files, does that mean that we should adjust our programs to point to a folder in the Application Data folder instead? I've got a demo software that writes to a subfolder called "Data" under the installed folder (which is in Program Files\MyCompany).

Should I take steps now to write to the C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data folder?

Mbabcock,

does that mean that we should adjust our programs to point to a folder in the Application Data folder instead?

That's what Microsoft ways we should do. In any case, it's good practice not to use Program Files for transient application data. It should be reserved for things like executable programs and help files.

The issue with using Application Data is that each sub-folder is specific to a particular user. If more than one user logs onto the computer, they will not see the same data as each other. That might or might not be what you want. The point is that, in that respect, the behaviour is different than with Program Files.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

>Because we are no longer able to write to Program Files, does that mean that we should adjust our programs to point to a folder in the Application Data folder instead? I've got a demo software that writes to a subfolder called "Data" under the installed folder (which is in Program Files\MyCompany).

You can continue to do that as long as you set permissions to the Data folder to give all users read-write access to it. Don't do that with your program folder; that opens a security hole on the user's system.

Doug

I also just experienced the problem that my application writes to a sub-folder in \program files\.

I would like to solve it as Doug suggests above:
"... as long as you set permissions to the Data folder to give all users read-write access to it."

However, the user shall not have to bother. Does anyone have an idea how to set folder rights programmatically, perhaps at first program start?

/Micael

Hi to all!
I have not run yet in the Vista problems.
But I'm wondering: Once the EXE is running in program-files; how to deal with resource files than?
KR
-Bart

You can set those rights in your installation program. I'm using InnoSetup; there, this is handled in the [Dirs] section, using the Permissions: keyword.

Tamar

Thanks' Tamar! Great solution. InooSetup is soooo much easier to work with than IS.
/Micael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back