Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP6 to VFP8 - syntax error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrausnick

Programmer
Apr 2, 2002
US
I'm upgrading an app from VFP6 to VFP8. I duplicated the app's entire directory structure, deleted all the FXPs, and modified the project's home directory. When I run one of the forms, I get the message 'Syntax error' 7 times, then the form comes up. I haven't tried all the forms in the app, but several other forms open with no problem.

What has me stumped is that the same behavior occurs when I try to even modify the form. I get 7 syntax errors, then the form designer opens. I stuck a SET STEP ON at the top of the form's INIT event, and the 7 syntax errors happen before the SET STEP ON executes.

What might cause this?

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

Mike,

After the 7 errors, when in the project, have you tried opening any of your views, if there are any? Most of my apps gave syntax errors due to the need to have SQL statements/ views redone in VFP 8,

Rainer

Hi.

I think you'll have to check the VFP 8 "Critical changes" document in order to validate the nature of these errors. For exemple, the SQL structure change dramatically from VFP 7 to VFP 8. Also, check if you install the SP1 for VFP 8.0

Hope it help a bit.

Nro

Mike,
Did you start by doing a Recompile All in VFP 8.0? Did you check for any errors generated? Did you make sure that none of the classes used by your forms are using the 6.0 versions? (I usually temporarily rename the 6.0 directories before I do the recompile all, and then it'll ask where the proper directory is before it uses the wrong one!)

Rick

Hi Mike,

SET STEP ON would be most useful in the LOAD event. Creation of the DE happens before that, though.

Have you tried SET ENGINEBEHAVIOR = 70 ?

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll probably use all the suggestions before I'm through with the conversion.

In this case, I discovered that the form, which is a table-driven search parameter form, had 7 labels with an equals sign ('=') as the caption. VFP8 apparently doesn't like this. I changed the caption on all 7 from '=' to 'equals' and now the form loads without the errors.

Too weird!

Thanks again.

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

Mike,
That was a known problem, and the "official" fix was instead of "=", use "= ".

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back