Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP suggestion for a help file within

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettyfurr

Technical User
Mar 12, 2002
US
I want to create a help file to be react to F1 on a topic level.

What do you guys recommend? Easy to use/create.

Nothing fancy. small manual on-line.

Betty :-(

Olaf,

Click the Button "Add/Modify window definitions".... Under "Extended Style" you may even define it to be a "context help" window.. if you put that topic as an item to a TOC, you can define the default frame ....

What software are you referring to here? Are your comments seem to be specific to a particular authoring tool, or what?

And don't press F1, press SHIFT+F1 then click with the ?-Mousepointer on the control.

But, if you look back at the question that started this thread, you will see that Betty specifically asked for F1 Help. In any case, I'm not sure there would be a difference in this case (although I haven't tried it).

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Betty,

Sorry to hear about your illness. Hope you are feeling stronger now.

If you want to keep your help really simple, I strongly suggest you use the method described in the article I mentioned earlier in the thread.

As for HTML vs HLP .. well, as you can see, this has become something of a controversy here. However, although I'm not arguing against HTML (CHM) help -- it has several advantages -- it does not support the type of quick popup F1 help window that I think you want. (At least, that's my opinion until I'm convinced otherwise.)

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Hi Mike,

I'm referring to the HTML Help Workshop. The Button I'm referring to define windows is on the left side toolbar. Now found it?

It's not really a big matter if you can call the help through F1 or SHIFT+F1, you might simply define ON KEY LABEL F1 to work as WhatsThisHelp (call the WhatsThisHelp-Method of the active form and do nothing if no form is active.

Bye, Olaf.

Hi again Mike,

Mike said:
it does not support the type of quick popup F1 help window that I think you want. (At least, that's my opinion until I'm convinced otherwise.)

And if you insist on the help instantly popping up at the press of F1 you may define the main window of the HTML Help to not contain a TOC etc.

So you just need to find that Button I mentioned: "Add/Modify window definitions" is the tooltip of that button. And you might also find that described in the HTML Help of the HTML Help Workshop. Search for "Create help windows".

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back