Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP on a handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickesilaw

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
CA
has anyone written application for Palm or any of the other hand helds?

what exactly are you after? what do you need to do?

if you're trying to develop graphically for a Palm or handheld, that won't be possible unless you write a web app and connect the handheld to the internet.

in the other hand if you want to write an app to acces data wireless that's another story. let me know what is it that you want

Rickesilaw,

You cannot write a real VFP app on a hand-held because VFP runs under Windows. However, some hand-helds support a DOS emulator, so it might be possible to write an app in FoxPro for DOS. But that's just a guess. I've never tried doing that, and don't know how easy it would be.

An alternative might be to use a tablet PC, which runs Windows XP and therefore fully supports VFP.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

For those of you diving into the .NET realm, there is a toolkit available for .NET called VFPToolkit. It is available @ . Scroll to the bottom.

I just finished two applications in .NET. One of the apps was for a Symbol Handheld and this toolkit was awesome!

My handheld app uses a ASP.NET application for the front-end and a Foxpro application and a COM object written by one of our vendors to process the output of the Web App into a foxpro database.

We have all the kinks worked out now and this has been awesome and extremely reliable.

<<< this has been awesome and extremely reliable

rtatum,

That sounds pretty slick. Way to go.

Andy

Andy,

It is pretty slick! Thanks to you and Tricia for all of your help with the COM Object! :)

RTATUM

baltman,

Very good information. Thank you for the link.

Slighthaze = NULL
[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
&quot;Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.&quot; - Anon​
[/sup]

We have written an app that works on PocketPC, Palm and Symbian with a framework called AppForge ... - Appforge integrates into VB6 and is very flexible, object orientated and easy to learn if you are are comfortable with basic commands in VB. We keep constant contact with our backend server via some powerful internet tools - socket based. Our backend IIS server uses VFP8 and Rick Strahl's West Wind Connection.

We couldn't go the browser based route as we need to constantly provide our drivers with delivery information and the internet contact is iffy in many places and we needed to capture signatures inside of buildings.

Bruce Sharland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back