Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP Compiler for .Net by etecnologia.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a quick look at it, and came to much the same conclusion as Craig.

I was also put off by the fact that the website makes no meniton of support. It doesn't give the vendor's contact details - in fact, not even the name of the company.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

I did look into it a little. As others have said, it is somewhat old but according to what I found the author/owner is an American :-

Samuel David, Etecnologia
Profile Address: Brickell Avenue
Miami
Florida, United States
Telephone: +555 4321

The write up I found was basically saying that he was continuing to develop this but it was dependant on take up. In other words, if enough people were interested he would continue his work however, I'm guessing that take up has been limited hence the lack of updates.

Bob Palmer
The most common solution is H2O!

Thanks... that's sort of what I had suspected when I saw that the last update was March 2010.

I think it's a dealock situation. Who would take up something with no perspective to definitely be finished on the one side and how can he raise enough funds to pay his time?

The already finished .NET Extender for VFP seems not to make too much revenue to pay work on the compiler.

Haven't bought and used it, but it would actually be a nice way to stay in fox and go in the .NET direction already. And the compiler producing .NET code would allow to keep that integration, so it's not provisorial work you'd need to repeat.

Nevertheless I'm not convinced even if the compiler does pick up with advancements, as it announces. Our biggest customer is rather staying with MS as a vendor as with VFP, they rather invest in reimplemnentation and migration than moving from there.

Bye, Olaf.

Nuts! To have the Replace, Append, Locate, Select ... to Cursor commands at my fingertips. Man would I be in heaven (at least for a few minutes.) (Yes I have .net work arounds for all of the above listed items.)

But yes it does seem to be dead.

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

I bought the product when I didn't actually need it only to encourage them to continue it.

Sad to hear it has stagnated.

To have the Replace, Append, Locate, Select ... to Cursor commands at my fingertips.

Not to mention VFP's marvellous string-handling functions.

When I started out with C#, one of the first things I did was write a little library of functions such as STRTRAN(), STREXTRACT(), OCCURS(), GETWORDNUM() and so on. I didn't really need to, but it was like a comfort blanket to have those familiar tools to hand.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

DanFreeMan: Since you are a paid user of the product might you have better commumication with the developer? Have you received any notices etc? Has there been an offical going out of biz sign? I sure hope not but could the developer become very sick or even died?

Anthony L. Testi
President

Alas poor VFPCompiler for .NET I never had the chance to know you at all, and na not even the knowledge of what beast fell you. Tis a pity!

My very poor shakespeare for the year.

Anthony L. Testi
President

Foxincloud. Interesting. I do not see the 'link' to .net thou, which is what makes me interested in VFPCompiler for .NET.

Foxincloud might be useful if one need to make a Fox App webbased, but starting at $2,860 may be priced on the high side. Also one must learn HTNL, CSS, Java Script and jQuery etc. to get full use of this product.

Anthony L. Testi
President

Well, yes, FoxInCloud means you can take your Foxpro application and bring it to the web using XAML. But re-writing a Foxpro application in Silverlight would cost a lot more in time (=$). But FoxInCloud will do that for you in a very short period.
But my understanding from what I read on Craig Boyds blog ( is that since Microsoft's technology change with every version of Visual Studio, it is hard for them to keep changing to adapt. Although I noticed that Guineu (by Christof Wollenhaupt) is still moving forward.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.
ReFox XI (www.mcrgsoftware.com)

Hi all,
FoxInCloud skill requirement are higher in web and OOP than in HTML/CSS/Javascript as FoxInCloud generates most of the HTML/CSS/Javascript code.
Thierry Nivelet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back