Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vfp and sql server

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlassino

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2004
US
i have recently upsized my foxpro application to a sql server. i was wondering if there was any help out there to descripe what to do next. I see i have my local tables and some new remote tables... but now what do i do? how do i get the forms to use the remote data tables. I have tried adding the data through the data enviroment but the remote tables are not visible to be added. I am very new to this and thank you in advance..

Have you looked at the Help file on "Upsizing Visual FoxPro Databases". There are a lot of information on upsizing and accessing the data using Remote Views.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

YES I HAVE FOLLOWED IT VERBATIM I GET A REPORT AFTER UPSIZE WITH NO ERRORS BUT NO RECORDS CARRIED OVER. IS THERE SOMETHING SPECIAL I NEED TO DO AFTER I UPSIXE THE TABLES?

morlassino,

Just to clarify ... You have run the Upsizing Wizard to move the data over to SQL Server. The wizard run successfully, but no data has been transferred. Is that correct?

If so, did the wizard actually create the tables on the server? In other words, can you see a bunch of empty tables on the server? If so, this is quite a common problem. I don't know the answer, except to say that the Upsizing Wizard is not the most reliable of tools. Personally, I would rather use the Import tool (DTS) within SQL Server.

If you want to know what to do after you have successfully upsized the data, I would echo Mike Gagnon's advice. Read the appropropriate section of the Help, then come back if you have specific questions.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

THAT IS CORRECT THE TABLES ARE THERE BUT NO DATA... THANK YOU I WILL TAKE YOU ADVICE.

thank you. I was finally able to see the tables in the data envisronment by changing the view from tables to view.
Thank you for all your help [2thumbsup]

MARIO P ORLASSINO
ASSISTANT MANAGER IT
"THE HOSE HEAD"

ok... i have a problem i am trying to update a remote table on sql server twhich works fine but after the update the updated info is only avail to me when a multi user is viewing the data if they close the app then reopen the data is then the same as mine..
i have tried update ...tableupdate... row buffering i think i am missing something please help..thank you

MARIO P ORLASSINO
ASSISTANT MANAGER IT
"THE HOSE HEAD"

Mario,

Are you saying that you can see the updated data, but others users can't? If so, the answer depends on how those other users are accessing the data.

If they are using remote views, they need to do REQUERY(). Do that periodically (say, once per minute) for each open view.

If they are using SQL pass-through, they need to send their SELECT statement again. Again, do that periodically.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

that worked but how do i set the timeout on the requery()

MARIO P ORLASSINO
ASSISTANT MANAGER IT
"THE HOSE HEAD"

that worked but how do i set the timeout on the requery()

You will have to add a VFP Timer class to your application. Set its Interval property to about one minute. In the Timer method, do the requery.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Mike,
thank you for all the advise.
I s there a way to some how have the record locked when a user is editing and when it is locked either disable the edit button i am using or display a message for the user trying to access the same record that is being edited.
thanks

MARIO P ORLASSINO
ASSISTANT MANAGER IT
"THE HOSE HEAD"

Mario,

I s there a way to some how have the record locked when a user is editing

What you are asking for is pessimistic locking. This is not supported by SQL Server. As far as I know, you can't stop one user from editing a record while another user is in the process of editing the same record.

The best you can do is to allow both users to edit the record, but to check for conflicts at the time the record is committed to the server. You can do that by looking at the error information you get back when the commit fails.

Hope this helps. By the way, you will probably get better answers to your questions on Tek Tips if you start a new thread for each question. That way, it's more likely that someone who knows the answer will see the question, plus it makes it easier for other people to search the archives for previous answers.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back