Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP and Open Sessions on Win2003 Server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRPhx

MIS
Jul 4, 2005
US
Here's the situation (And I'm not even sure this is the correct forum..Didn't know where else to put it).

We have a VFP9 application (newly converted from VFP6) sitting on a Win2003 Server. The app has been in use for many years and works, basically.

The application is a box tracking application. Users enter information on the contents in a box, the app assigns a storage location in a wharehouse, etc.

This is all fine. The problem occurs, at times, when a user attempts to add a new box. The server returns an error along the lines of "The table you are attempting to update is currently in use by another user. Try back later". HOWEVER, going into the server and checking for open files and sessions, we finsd there are NO locks on any tables!!! AND there generally there is at least one open session, with no open files. Until the open sessions/files are closed manually, no one can update any table. We thought the problem was that VFP6 was so old and that Win2k3 Server was new enough that this was the problem. However this doesn't appear to be the case.

Is the fact that the user's session never gets closed our problem? And if so, how do we kill these bogus open sessions???? We're pulling our hair out here and any help/suggestions would be helpful.

BTW, we connect to the table(s) through a "friendly" path in a setup table, so there is no ODBC connection. Each user has an account on the server with Read/Write/Modify rights to the folder where the foxpro tables reside.

Mike Yearwood,

My star to you.. though I am not still sure if this is one of the reasons for minor hitches in a larger site I have. I get into issues at times, with duplicated primary keys, often the key value ending with a zero value and in duplicates which has given me concern for a long long time though occoassional. I will just find a way to solve it with this information backdrop.

PRPhx.. my star to you for bring up this topic here.

Thank you both.

Cheers... :)

I don't believe there is any contention. If I go in and manage shares (records/locks and sessions), there are no open files/locks. And under sessions the user has no files open.

I would think that once a user has logged out, all file locks have been released, that the user's session should have enede. Indeed this is NOT the case. User sessions stay open, when they probably shouldn't. I wonder if this is an OS thing, with unused open sessions getting terminated after so much inactivity????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back