Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP 9Cursor adapter SQL 2000 Image/General Field Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluteplr

Programmer
Oct 23, 2000
US
I am experimenting with using a cursor adapter to update a SQL 2000 image field. I used the builder to create an adapter in a test form and basically took the default values. Its attaching using ADO. The update back to the server works fine as long as the image/general field is null. However when I do an append general and the try to update back to the server I get the following error.

Microsoft Cursor Engine : Multiple-step operation generated errors. Check each status value.

Which is not very enlightening, since at the moment I can't figure out where to check the status values.

I have tried tracing what it is doing through the sql profiler but it appears that the update is not even getting that far, since nothing is relating to this is showing up un the profiler.

Do not use General Field, use BLOB field instead. Set MapBinary = .t. and MapVarChar = .t. in CA properties window.

Borislav Borissov

I this case I really need the VFP field to be a general since we use it to launch ole embedded documents. Is there a way to fool it so the update works and I end up with a general field in the cursor that VFP gets back?

Why Genereal? Imagine that you put some image in that field from a WorkStation that has MicroSoft Imaging installed, then other user in a different workstation pull that record and want to see that picture, but has no Microsoft Imaging installed. BOOOOM will happens. You can't relly that all users will have the same application/classes instaled on that computers. Just get BLOB field then extract the document as a disk file and use Automation or ShellExecute() to run default application that manage that type of files.

Borislav Borissov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back