Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP 9 upgrade? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan232

Programmer
May 19, 2004
US
Hi All;

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm currently using VFP 6 SP5 and thinking about moving to the most current version of VFP (9?) before distributing anything. Can I go with a simple upgrade (VFP 9 upgrade) or buy anew (VFP 9 profressional) or both (VFP 9 profressional with VFP 9 upgrade)? And can I legally distribute (as in VFP 6) the run-time code with the professional verion of VFP 9? Or simply not bother?

Thanks,
Alan

And can I legally distribute (as in VFP 6) the run-time code with the professional verion of VFP 9? Or simply not bother?

The way of distributing works the same as VFP6.

I am not sure you can purchase VFP9 upgrade from VFP6. You may want to contact Microsoft.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.
ReFox XI (www.mcrgsoftware.com)

Alan,

I can't find any information about which versions the 9.0 upgrade can be applied to. There doesn't appear to be anything on Microsoft's site, or on the VFP 9.0 package, or on the site of any of the vendors I normally buy software from.

I can only tell you that VFP 8.0 can be used to legally upgrade any version from 5.0, so you'd expect 9.0 to be able to upgrade 6.0. But it's only a guess.

Licensing apart, if you build your application under 9.0, you will have to distrubute the 9.0 run time files. You can't just give your existing users a copy of the 9.0-built EXE -- that won't work.

Also, be aware that there are several change to the language in both 8.0 and 9.0 that could break you existing code. Nothing serious -- and all well-documented. But keep in mind that you, if you run your 6.0 code under 9.0, you might get some new errors to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Alan,

After posting the above, I found the following tucked away on the Microsoft site:

Customers who qualify for the version upgrade price include licensed users of Visual FoxPro 6.0, 7.0, or 8.0 and Professional or Enterprise Editions of Microsoft Visual Studio 97 or Visual Studio 6.0.

So, looks like you're OK to upgrade.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

I would have said the upgrade version of VFP 9.0 works with VFP 5.0 or above, but Mike is correct, Microsoft now lists just VFP 6.0 and above or Visual Studio 97 and above. (Visual Studio 97 came with VFP 5.0.)

At thread184-1012570 it was said to be Visual Studio 97 or VFP 5.0 but that was when VFP 9.0 was just released, well over a year ago. I wrote thread184-995194 about the same time (Jan 2005) and said the same thing and provided a link too, now obsolete. I can only guess that Microsoft changed their upgrade rules for 9.0 at some point afterwards to exclude VFP 5.0 standalone.

Visual Studio still recognizes VFP 5.0 and many other products for VS upgrade pricing:

dbMark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back