Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vfp 9 on a Windows 7 machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgardg

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2001
AR
Hello, I am having trouble installing vfp9 on a windows 7 machine. It stops on the "Prerequisites".
Anybody knows how to fix that? or if it would even run on a this machine?

Can you describe "stops"? Is there an error message? (It might just tell you what's wrong. :))

I'm running VFP9 on Win7 with no problem.

well, let see, I run the setup and the first window says:
Install Visual FoxPro
After that another window pops saying "Install Prerequisites"
(the other options are disabled until you do this)
It then shows running the "thermometer" till the end, but it seems at the end "stops" running (although it says is installing....) when finally ends, it says "Failed to install"

that's all
I can run it over and over and it will do the same thing. I restarted the machine couple of times, but that's not the problem.
Does VFP be installed in a 64-bit machine?

Agree you should run the installer as administrator.

Note that in Windows Vista and later a user in the Administrators group is NOT the same as running as administrator. (Long discussion. Just run it as administrator.)

Look in Windows' Event Viewer for error messages.

Control Panel/Administrative tools.

nigel

Login as local Administrator, Rightclick on the setup.exe in the /Setup/ subfolder of the disc and choose "Run as Administrator" from there.

AFAIR VFP9's setup is needing Version 2.0 of Windows Installer (
That's was the Version of Windows Installer on WinXP without SP. I didn't need to downgrade this to install VFP9 on Vista, so Windows Installer 4.0 should also be ok. Maybe 5.0, which comes with Win7 is a problem.

But why not simply start the VFP9 setup manually, just go into the /Setup/ subfolder of the disc, IIRC that's the VFP9 setup. The correct MSI version probably isn't all that important and may only be needed, if you install via the autorun setup menu thingy.

You should consider manually installing the Soap Toolkit+SDK, as that installs the right MSXML Versions to make the Task Pane usable and several XML Functions (XMLTOCURSOR) and classes (XMLAdapter).

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back