Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP 9 Config problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paco75

Programmer
Oct 11, 2001
US
Hi,

Im having some troubles with VFP 9 setup... each time i open a project the windows state is not kept in memory and it always opens in a small windows instead of maximised. Also the size and locations of the project manager and property windows are always reset. Is there a place in config to tell VFP to keep these in memory?

Also i got Option->View->Open Last Project on Startup disabled... i cant check/uncheck it!! The only way i got to change it is to go in registery and set the value manually.

thanks

@Mike:

When i open vfp the vfp windows always opens minimised even if i closed vfp maximized. The project manager screen and all the screens inside vfp are not 'memorizing' their position when i reopen. The vfp menu is also not keeping any change i did... if i add or remove toolbars. Also settings like in option if i check or uncheck an option it is reset when i reopen vfp.

@Olaf: UAC is turned off and the problem is still there

Today i noticed others projects opens correctly... i made a test and opened my project on another pc with vfp and the problem happened. So it seems it's my .PJT file that might be corrupted... at least the problem is not win7 or vfp.

I would be surprised if the problem was caused by a corrupt project file. But you never can tell.

If it is, the simple solution would be to delete it and recreate it. The easiest way to recreate a project is to create an empty project, then add the main program, then do a build.

Alternatively, start with an empty project. Then go to Windows Explorer, multi-select all the files you want in the project, and drag these onto the project window.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

I created a new project and the problem is always there o_O
i must be cursed lol

Big surprise. 110% sure UAC is turned off?

If it's turned off no file virtualisation and registry virtualisation is done, so nothing is hindering foxpro to save it's options.

Bye, Olaf.

In the past I created a prg that programatically set everything to my preference and made it the startup script. Very helpful when you want the same environment and feel from multiple machines too.

In addition to the standard _screen.width etc this faq can help with other particulars

Never Notify is shutting UAC off on Win7, yes.

While you still cannot save options, maybe it's still half the solution. You should now try, if running VFP9.EXE /regserver helps, which (re)creates registry entries besides other things.
quoting the help on the /regserver command-line option done on VFP9.EXE: "Register Visual FoxPro default registry keys."

If you did install vfp9 with UAC turned on, options are redirected and not be where foxpro expects them in the registry due to virtualisation/redirection, but on top of that, while that redirection of UAC should work both ways for writing and reading, it only worked for writing and so vfp couldn't read back what UAC has redirected. And that is still true now UAC is turned off quite logical, because now that you turned off UAC the registry entries still are at the redirected place and VFP still will not read them back. I thought that could be fixed by using the options dialog and set as default once would fix that, but it turns out the missing registry keys make vfp options disabled.

That seems the only logical explaination of what you experienced. UAC fails to make the registry redirection transparent to VFP and VFP fails or refuses to (re)create keys.

That call of vfp9.exe with the /regserver command-line option might fix it.

Bye, Olaf.

It worked everything is fine now! :)

Many thanks to you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back