Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFP-64Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olaf,

I did get the point about DOEVENTS. It is definitely the central point and I did many tests with it to find the optimum. Sorry that I did not make a clamor on that point. It was so obvious that I went on to something I did not know, before. Sleep(n) was very interesting to me. So, if not knowing, that VFP API, makes me into a neophyte, "so be it". It is not my interest to maintain the illusion that I know everything. In fact, I am here because I do not know everything and I am very appreciative of your, Mike's and all the other guy's help. I wish I had taken advantage of using your forum in my earlier days.

All in all, you have affirmed my original point that VFP is not great in moving forms and objects in 2D. However, you have still improved my insight into how to tweak it some more. It is always a pleasure to hear from Olaf. Maybe you could look at it from my point of view. I get excited about things I do not know. Now I can improve some of my former attempts at making a smooth entry of a form, starting from total transparency and moving in from the center of the screen to the last location the form was parked. Crazy, maybe, but I have my own ticks, you know.

So, if I forgot to affirm your main point, my apology for that. Nevertheless, I highly appreciate your patience tenacity and your incredible depth of understanding.

You were very helpful to me here, Thank you for that, Olaf.

Dennis Kean

Simplicity is the extreme degree of sophistication.
Leonardo da Vinci

This is Windows API, not VFP API, if it would be VFP, you would not need to DECLARE this DLL function. Sleep is one of the most basic Windows API functions, it was about the first I learned, maybe ShellExecute was first.

Anyway, some day you have to decide whether you really like VFP or not, because most of the time you want or need to use something external to VFP.

As you are so fond of very low level stuff, you rather should use C/C++, this really would be for you, the core language is not capable to do much, but there are a vast number of libraries for everything. Still much more than for C#, you can also link libs and not need to do late binding as VFP with COM or it's DECLARE.

Bye, Olaf.

This is WAY off topic now... should open another thread.

Best Regards,
Scott
ATS, CDCE, CTIA, CTDC

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Guys, I played with this VFP 10 64-Bit and it really converted my application to a 64-Bit version. I also noticed that my application worked more faster than when it was in a 32-bit version. The only downside is I have to remove a few of my 32-Bit ActiveX and that there are no 64-Bit ActiveX available so far although we can use third-party ones according to the author.

Foxwizard,

your application 64-bit, have you compiled it to an exe? Have you deployed that exe to an other or a virtual pc? and which runtimes did you had to install on your other pc?

Regards,

Jockey4

Foxwzard
I see 2 things posted on the website

2014/11/1

1, The DotNet ActiveX Controls (64-bit) ok.

2014/9/10

1, The Microsoft Forms 2.0 ActiveX Controls (64-bit) ok.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Jockey4,

Yes I compiled my application to an exe and tested it on my PC and it was working fine. No changes made to my application except that I had to remove the 32-Bit ActiveX and comment the codes that uses them. I have not deployed my application yet but to check if your application is a 64-Bit one, simply run your application and then check it using task manager. There is a column platform in details which tells you if an application is a 32-Bit or 64-Bit. If you can't find the platform, just right click the header then select columns, look for platform and check it.

Thanks mgagnon, I will check them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back