Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Very Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

buh

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
Is it possible to extract a substring from a blob or memo field and assign it to a formula (Or) Is it possible to access the memo field or blob field in the CR

Please help me in this subject.

Very Urent
Regards,
Buh

nopes...you can only display Memo or Blob fields. They cannot be used in formulas Jim
JimBroadbent@Hotmail.com

Have you tried breaking it down in the underlying sql source

e.g in sql server SELECT cast(yourmemo field AS varchar(8000))
FROM your table

this will convert the 'memo type' field to a character field which then means you can search the string for the substring you are looking for. Obviously if there are more than 8000 characters you may have problems

Hope this helps

Andy

Awithers,

I am able to convert it to a string using cast function in the select statement of the report.
but in the formula editor, that column is not appearing. when i manually enter, it shows "Blob or memo field cannot be used in the formula".

Very urgent

Dear All,

One correction. Memo blob fields can be used in formulas, but only to check if the value of the field is or is not null.

Example: Isnull({yourmemblobfield})

I use this all the time to suppress a detail section that only contains the memo/blob field.

Also, why not try a stored procedure?

ro Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary@microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

Flash from the Crystal Users conference....

Version 9 of Crystal will support memo fields. Howard Hammerman,

Crystal Reports training, consulting, books, training material, software, and support. Scheduled training in 8 cities.
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

No, I can't use stored procedures, views etc. Ony tables are possible. My front-end is like that.It supports only tables.If i use stored procedures or views, it doesn't allows me to view the report and also i am using CR 8.5.

Any other idea.

Verry Urgent,
Buhari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back