Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very specific problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobisto

Programmer
Feb 13, 2002
MK
Computer is with Soltek 845 motherboard and have an Inno3D 440 64MB graphic card. The problem starts when I’ve put the parts together. The computer beeped like there isn't graphic card. So firs thing that I do was to clear cmos. After that the computer worked fine. From that time until now and that is half a year, approximately every month the computer stop responding and I go to the client, open the box and clear cmos, and computer start to work. Last two, three times when this computer stop functioning it doesn't beep, just there is no picture. So now I remove the graphic card and back it again and after that computer is working. This malfunctioning happens when computer isn't turn on about a week or more.

Please help.

hmm...

defective cmos battery???

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

That's possible. Also, you should attempt to flash the BIOS to the latest revision off Soltek's website.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Double check to make sure there aren't any extra standoffs screwed into the M/B plate. I've seen intermittent issues cause by this before. Next check all the capacitors on the M/B and Videocard. Any leaking or distended caps could cause periodic power issues, like what you are having. You could also try running tests on the video card itself. If you have PC Certify, run a test on the VRAM to see if its defective. You could also install software to measure voltages in the computer. Failing this and the BIOS update and CMOS replacement suggested earlier, try a new video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back