Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Slow Printing XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rauneh

Technical User
Sep 11, 2002
US
I have an NEC SuperScript 870 that worked fine with my 98se machine.  Now I have a new machine with XP Pro.

The printer now prints painfully slow.  With several seconds delay between each and every page.  Regardles of the type of file I'm printing. (I've tried DOC, PDF, TXT)

I have changed settings under the prefs section.  No Luck though.
NEC's website says to use the driver on the OS cd.  So no updated driver there.

ps. Apologies for repost. Thought a more meaningful subject line would help.

I first used the the default settings. Since, I have tried each of the options under the Advanced tab of the Properties for the printer.

There is no change regardless of the settings that I choose. Sadly. Any suggestions?

Typing "Fixing a printing problem" in the Help and Support program Search Box will lead you to the Printing Troubleshooter which should cover slow printing problems.

One would hope so. But I find myself here instead. Now after a very frustrating hour at support.microsoft.com I find myself envious of another computer platform.

These are flying around on the web, any help?

FYI: October 5, 2002. A reader of this web site wrote to say that under Windows XP he has used the Minolta OMS 8L printer driver with the NEC 870 printer for over a year without problems. He says the Status Monitor doesn't work, but the printer is faster and the envelope feature works. XP recognizes the NEC 870 and has a printer definition for it. However, it can also have printer definition for a Minolta printer that controls the same NEC 870 printer. I have not tried this.

FYI: October 16, 2002. Another reader wrote to say that after having problems printing from Windows 2000 Professional, he was advised by NEC technical support to use the HP LaserJet IIP driver included in Windows. I have not tried this.

FYI: November 14, 2002. Another reader said that Windows XP recognized the printer and installed a driver automatically but that it printed garbage. Then they replaced the 870 driver with the driver for the HP LaserJet IIP (after reading the above FYI) and it works. I have not tried this.

FYI: Many readers have written me with problems using this printer under Windows XP. One found that older print cables were the cause of the printer being slow. A new standard Parallel cable speeded it up. A related topic, that I have not investigated, is that all printer ports are not the same. There are at least three types and you can usually set the BIOS to make your printer port act like any of the three types. Perhaps this effects printer speed? January 31, 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back