Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very slow performance after moving to another network

Status
Not open for further replies.

lako

MIS
Dec 14, 2003
DE
Hi,

I got a problem with an IBM RS/6000 43p Model 150. The OS is AIX 4.3.3.
So, I installed the OS from scratch w/o problems, I configured the TCP/IP settings for the ethernet interfaces with static values and were able to access the network w/o problems. One reboot took about 5min.

Today I moved this machine to another location's network, but w/o changing any settings the boot process took about 45min and the system is very slow. Starting a tool like System_Admin/Network takes about 5min. Once the program its loaded, it doesn't feel that slow, opening a subdialog works quite normal. On the other hand, a command issued via SMIT takes very long.

I first thought that not changing the TCP/IP settings before moving the server to the new network was the issue (dns timeouts, wrong default gateway), but either changing to DHCP or static IPs within the correct subnet fixed the problem.

While changing these settings I saw something I don't get. I first changed to DHCP via System_Admin/Network. After seeing that this did not work, I used SMIT to change to static values. But after doing that it seems DHCP is active and not the static values I entered via SMIT.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Bye

Lars

P.S.

1)
ps aux shows a process called 'kproc' that uses 95% of the cpu. Is this normal? What's this process doing?

2)
How can I show the active network interface settings (ifconfig en0)?

3)
How can I show the routing table?

4)
How can I change the NICs media type (from autosensing to 100mbit/fd e.g.)?

1. kproc is the wait process. This is normal. It means the system is idle. What do you see in vmstat?

2. netstat -v en0

3. netstat -r

4. smit devices (communication devices)(Change/Show)

Thanx, I can use these commands next week. Then I can also do a vmstat.

Any ideas on the main problems?

let's say you have en0

lsattr -El ent0 -a media_speed

The media speed of port in network Switch connected to the machine should be set static to value (100/FullDuplex).

I also suggest not use AutoNegotiation - I always had problem using autonegotiation on 100Mbit network adapters in AIX.

For example:

Switch Port Adapter
100/Full Duplex Autonegotiation -may be speed problem
100/Full Duplex 100/FullDuplex -OK
Autonegotiation 100/FullDuplex -may be speed problem
Autonegotiation Autonegotiation -???? not tested

regards, m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back