Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Slow Mailbox Backup w/ Bkup Exec 7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmf226

Technical User
Jan 11, 2001
US
In December we were hit by the shockwave virus. After the cleanup, our exchange admin upgraded the Exchanger Server (MS Exchange 5.5) to Norton Antivirus for Exchange ver. 2.11 and applied SP4. Ever since then a mailbox backup that used to take 6 hours now takes over 30 hours before I abort. He has tried reindexing and an integrity check w/ no results. I have tried reinstalling the exchange agent w/ no results. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

To follow up on my own question. We found out that it was Norton Antivirus that was causing the slowdown.

vmf,

How did you cure this? Remove Norton or is there a workaround?

We removed nav from the server. We're temporarily using scanmail.

We have the same issue here with our Exchange 5.5 servers using Norton AntiVirus for Exchange. The problem is with the Norton's VAPI scanning engine. If you change it from VAPI/MAPI or VAPI to just MAPI mode, the speed should improve. However, by doing so, Norton will be less efficient when scanning Emails with attachments. Right now, both Veritas and Norton have no fix to this problem other than some lameo workarounds.

We have the same problem and we use Trend Scanmail. We use a high-end Dell 128T LTO tape backup system where we get over 1GB/min backing up the Information Store. However, it drops to around 117 MB/min backing up the Mailboxes. I stopped the scanmail services before the backup but it didn't make a difference. It appears that high-end hardware won't fix this problem as the problem lies in the extraction of the individual mailboxes from the Information store. Steve Gary - MCSE, CCNA, Network +
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back