Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very slow logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjbansley

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
GB
Hi,

Over the past couple of months logging on to our wink2 server network is very very slow. Usually a couple of mins and your logged on, now it takes at least 7 mins and the last count its 20mins. The only thing that has changed is that we've moved the server to an annex building which is another 40m away.

I don't know where to start troubleshooting, can anyone offer any pointers.

Regards,

John

Are you using XP clients? If so good indication that something wrong with DNS.

FIrst possibility that comes to mind, since you moved the location to another building, is that you now have a router in the picture that is causing the problem, and the DNS is incorrect or not available.

Next area to investigate is the subnetting being used. Is the remote location the same subnet the system used to be on? Are the routers forwarding lookup requests correctly?

Also, if the annex building does not have a DNS server or DNS Relay on that link, you could also be having long lookup issues, which would account for the long delays. Could also have a bottleneck at the router at the annex or your end on the network.

The fact that the logon does finally work indicates the network does function, so I would focus on the lookup functions, i.e., the DNS. You may need to add a DNS relay at the annex to spdde it all up.

HTH

David

I would look into your sites and services. You may be using an IP address range that is not configured, so you are going to *any* DC to authenticate. You would also want a site with a DC / GC. Depending on network speed and all, you might want to put these and a DNS server in that location.

You should also to a SET from the CMD prompt - to look at your variables. One of your variables will be LogonServer ... this will tell which server actually logged you in. This is what I would check - if you are sure the network and IP settings are correct :)

Good luck!

Chris

Here's the first thing you should check:

Make sure your ethernet cable isn't beyond the standard 300 feet !! Signal loss *will* happen...

Good luck!

thanks everyone. That makes some sense. Will look into those areas.

john

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back