Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very slow logging on

Status
Not open for further replies.

sucram

Programmer
May 23, 2001
GB
Hi,

this is a windows XP Home Edition question but I cannot find anywhere better to post it.

When I get to the login screen and enter my password it takes 1-2 mins to see the desktop and another 1-2 for the desktop to become useable and the network connections to be setup. When I first got the laptop it was very fast but it suddenly changed to this.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this.
If i hibernate the PC instead of shutting down it is very quick.

Thanks,
Marcus

The behavior your describe is normal. You can help things a bit:

. Disable any unused network adapters;
. run the Disk Cleanup tool
. run a registry cleanup tool; this has been recommended and can be used under its trial program: . run a registry optomizer to compact the registry: . run my "Do it yourself Bootvis.exe" faq779-4518
. See this for additional speedup tips: faq779-4784
. Review your startup programs, and disable or uninstall any uneeded software:

Thanks for the information.
I tried all of the above and there was no improvement.
Looks like I will just have to suffer with it.

do you configue the DNS well?

if you are using the Domain, eg. you.com with domain controlllers 10.1.1.1, 10.1.1.2

then you should set your client DNS as 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 if it is the member of the domain you.com

as the member client will search the domain controller at logon, it will wait until timeout if it cannot find it.

Porkchop

Kill Ghost Prince

Have you checked the event logs to see if there is a startup application or service failing to load?

I've seen similar behavior when an antivirus component failed to load due to being corrupted.

If this is the case, you need to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

If none of the above worked, reboot the ocmputer into safe mode using F8, from safe mode the computer will be alot faster and easier to do the following, click start, run, and type msconfig, from there go to the startup tab, browse through everything that is Starting up with the computer ( all of these can be unchecked without harming the computer, jsut becarefull not to uncheck any antivirus software) also under the services tab, there are more services that boot with the machine if you click the "hide microsoft services" button you will then see any other programs booting up, disable which ever ones you wish, when your done restart, and the ocmputer should boot just as fast as it did when you bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back