Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Slow format when installing 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

truined

Technical User
May 4, 2002
AU
takes absolutely forever.... I'm talking 22 hours here.

The box is a dual xeon 2ghz 1 gig ram on an intel 7500 serverboard with onboard fastrak 100 ata raid controller. It also has an adaptek scsi raid but that isnt part of the equation as this problem happens whether an array is defined/built on this controller or not.

Now I know its not a hardware issue unless its a conflict of somekind as I have two identical boxes side by side both showing the exact problem.

Step one. Turn computer on, not a drama.

Step two. Create Mirror on Ata controller and build array, smooth as silk

Step three. Install Win2k on 10 gig partition of a 40 gig array. BANG

The part of the install where windows setup formats the partition takes literally 22 hours, once installed runs fine and fast, no errors or visible problems at all.

What could possibly cause this?

All the latest drivers are used at the 'F6' part :p

Any suggestions would be appreciated, a 22 hour workarround can be found but I'm to the conclusion there is something wrong here.

it sounds like it is low level formating the drive. Sector by Sector. Whenever I have seen this it is a hardware issue with the RAID Controller. I would contact the hardware manufacturer of the controller.

I have contacted the hardware manufacturer and still awaiting reply. Why would the controller do a low level format of a partition? Is this commmon?

No it is not common on the more pupular controllers. I have seen it on the less used controllers and cheaper controllers.

It appears that Drives ST380011A and ST340014A both have issues with this motherboard as reported by intel.

Damm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back