Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VERY SLOW Drive Mapping w/SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjpark75

Programmer
May 3, 2002
US

We have various Windows based servers. One is a Windows 2000 and the others are NT 4.0. The Windows 2000 server has Netscape Directory Services installed for a specific use.

Essentially, a few workstations, that have Windows 2000 Professional, were just upgraded to SP4. Before the upgrade, connectivity to the aforementioned Windows 2000 server was fine. After the upgrade, it takes about 60-90 seconds to map to any shared folder on that server via computer name! In the meantime, it freezes the machine. However, if we map via IP address, it's perfectly fine. Non-SP4 machines are fine.

We use Microsoft's Client Service for NetWare to connect to some outside Novell servers. One of our network guys uninstalled this and found connectivity to be back to normal.

Has anyone heard of this issue? Has anyone heard of problems with SP4? Does anyone have a solution other than uninstalling SP4 or the client service?

Thanks.

Jung

The DNS configuration for the SP4 machines are identical to machines without SP4. The DNS configuration is also identical to the state before SP4 was installed. Any other ideas?

By the way, I uninstalled Microsoft's Client for NetWare on another machine. It did not fix the issue that time. Back to square one. Maybe I just need to go back to SP2.

Jung

Also, once mapped, using the "+" or "-" to browse the directory structure on the left "Folders" pane is quick. However, when you click on a directory to view in the right pane, it takes just as long as it is to map a drive. Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Jung

Have you tried removing SP4, I know if this fixes the problem it doesn't help that you removed the SP, but I would then contact Microsoft directly. I know they've been helpful in the past if I can 100% verify the problem is caused by a SP. I have seen the slow mapping before, I'm currently checking on the level of SP I have installed on those machines. I'll keep you posted.

Removing SP4 sounds like my only option in narrowing down the actual issue. I will try that when I get some free time. If you have more info on the slow mapping issue, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back