Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very slow boot with new 256MB SDRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

unic

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
US
My motherboard is suppose to use PC100 SDRAM, yet I have never had any problems using PC133...it just runs at 100 instead of 133 (no noticeable performance issues). My PC133 128MB SDRAM by same manufacturer screams compared to the 256MB chip. The 256 chip is recognized as 256, but it takes what seems like 5 mins. to boot. The memory support was little help and the motherboard support was non-existant (Gigabyte). The motherboard has 3 memory slots, each capable of 256, and can be combined in any manner...I've tried various combinations with the 256 + 128 and the 256 alone. Still very slow...put just the 128 back in and back to business. The BIOS has way too many variables for the SDRAM (timing and latency stuff) which I don't know anything about...could this be my problem? The only BIOS upgrade is for 65+GB hard drive recognition so that isn't it.
I have tried 3 different 256 chips (two by another manufacturer) and all perform slow.
Would really like to use the additional 256 chip and don't want to change it and the 128 to PC100 as I think they should work anyway. Processor is Athon 800MHz.

Any ideas???
Thanks!

I had the same problem and never found a fix sans one.Buy all identical 128mhz segments and it was fine.I tried 3 different mfg and every combo I could think of but it never worked out.
Jimi_l(AKA Malepipe)

Sorry it didn't work for you either, but it's nice to hear I'm not the only one. It still frustrates me though. Thanks for the reply!

What model mobo from Gigabyte do u have?

GA-7IXE
AMD 751/756 chipset

unic,

You're exactly right that PC133 chips will work in place of PC100 as long as the design of the two chips are the same (DIMM). There were PC100 SIMMS that some mobos supported, but didn't support PC100/PC133 DIMMS. You're mobo does so you shouldn't have anything to worry about in this regard.

Perhaps the 256 module is ECC or parity?? You're mobo does support ECC memory, but it should never be used in conjunction with non-ECC memory. Also, there are probably some BIOS settings you would have to change to speed up the ECC memory, which typically runs slower but more effectively.

Best way to tell if it's ECC is to contact the company you purchased it from and find out from the order that was placed...

Actually an easier way is to count the segments.ECC has an ODD number and NON-ECC has an EVEN number.
Jimi_l(AKA Malepipe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back