Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very slow boot-up after bios cleared

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullshoot

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I recently had to pull the battery from a system to clear a password. I then set it to bios defaults.
Now, it takes a very long time to boot. I have timed it and it takes close to 3 minutes to boot up.
I have went thru the bios items and there is just nothing there that i can see that would effect this. There is almost nothing there at all really. It is a very simple bios.
I had just reloaded it with windows 98 and all was fine. As it boots, it will go to the windows 98 splash screen and just sit there. If i hit the esc key, it goes to one of the summary screens. (whats loaded and some system info) It just sits there for a long time. The ide light is on and off all of this time. Something is happing, but i dont know what.
This is on a BMC FM530 (pb810) socket 7 motherboard running a 166 processor in a PB m415 system.

Any help is greatly appreciated and much needed.
Thanks in advance
william ashe

when you "wiped" your bios did you reset your settings back to the original or are you going with bios defaults? more then likely you are at default settings meaning bios not being cached cpu not being cached video not cached e.t.c you "turned" off optimal settings by clearing that password.

Thanks for the reply,
I set the bios to default and then checked thru it. There is no place in bios to set the cache for any of those things. I notice on the info screen as it boots up that it says there is no cache moeory or and no l2 cache.
It is kind of like part of the bios is not showing up. Is this possible?

thanks
william

bullshoot

Maybe try using:

Bootlog Analyzer 1.23

Run Boot Log Analyzer (\BootLogAnalyze\BLA.EXE) to check for problems.
-------------------------------------
Make new copy of Bootlog.txt by restaring while holding F8 or the Ctrl key.
Pick item 2. Then, look at the file in C:\Bootlog.txt for the word fail.

How to create a new Bootlog.txt on every Restart

Edit the (hidden) Msdos.sys file and add to the [Options] list:

[Options]
BootKeys=1
BootMenu=1
BootMenuDefault=2
BootMenuDelay=1
DisableLog=0

Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File
------------------------------------- smitee

I just want to thank everyone for the help. I can always count on this forum for the right answers.

I think i finally found what was wrong. I dissabled a network card and now it will boot in about 40 seconds. I really dont see what clearing the bios had to do with the network card. There is nothing in the bios settings having to do with a network card.

Thanks again for the help!!!!!!
William

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back