Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Slow Backup Speed on local Server using Brightstor Arcserve 11.1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse72

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2005
US
I just got my HP Proliant DL380 G4 server last week. Along with the server, I have an Adaptec 39160 Ultra160 SCSI Card connect to a external HP DLT VS160 tape drive.

After installing the Driver & Arcserve 11.1, to my horror, the average throughput on this Server is less than 40MB/min!!! It is unacceptable!!!

The Spec of the server: 2 x 3.6GHz Xeon, 2GB RAM, RAID 5, etc The load on the server is still very low. But, why so slow? Running all kind of test on both tape drive, server look ok. I had also look at the Adaptec SCSI Card and can confirm that it speed is set to 160. But, still, unbelieveable slow!!!

My old server with only a Ultrawide SCSI with a DLT VS80 drive, running on Arcserve 6.0 give a better performance. Average Throughput is 200MB/Min. How come?

Any idea? Any suggestion? Please help.

Thank You

HI,

Since your server has 2 processors... verify BAB is able to use both the CPUs

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ ComputerAssociates \ BrightStor ARCserve Backup \ Base \ Task \ Common

Value Name: UseCPUAffinity
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1 for on 0 for off

Try a backup to a FSD instead of the tape. Compare the speeds.
Update the SCSI controller with the latest drivers.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ ComputerAssociates \ BrightStor ARCserve Backup \ Base \ TapeEngine \ Config

Value Name: MaximizeRWShots
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

Hope this helps

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Thanks speshalyst for your input. I had tested however, the result is still the same.

But the good news is, CA had responded to my call by suggesting me to apply the new Patch. Guest what, after applying the new patch, the Average Throughput boost up to 350MB/Min ~ 770MB/Min!!!

You can get the patch here:

Download patch QO63594

If required, you can also download this Device Support Update:

QO66072

Hope this will help others who face the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back