Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very slow application explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbasso

MIS
Jan 20, 2004
US
I have a situation where students who logon experience what seems to be an excessively long wait. It happens to all students. They sign onto Novell (and onto windows 2000 using Dynamic Local User policy) and it take 30-40 seconds for the Appilcation Explorer to finish refreshing. Someone here thinks it is because of Norton Anti-virus. I disabled Norton's and it is not much faster. The connection to the server is 100mb over fiber. There are less than 300 workstations. Any ideas what I should check?

What is your partition/replica layout? How many servers, locations, etc? Does your tree have NDS synch problems? Where are the users in relation to the application objects?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Where do you run Application Explorer or naldesk from? Running it from local drive would be faster.

Also, check the version of zenworks files (nalntsrv.exe, zenappws.dll, nalexpex.dll, naldesk.exe, nalwin32.exe, etc) by right clicking App Explorer | Properties | More.

Different file versions could cause that excessively long naldesk refresh.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back