Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very odd printing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiekat

Technical User
Jun 6, 2000
US
I was wondering if anyone has seen this before, and knows how I might do something to correct it. I was just given access to a database and I can't open or create any reports within it. This is the message I recieve when I try to open the reports in any view:

"There was a problem retrieving printer information for this object. This object may have been sent to a printer that is unavailible."

I can't figure out what the problem is, or find anywhere to change a default printer, if there is such an animal, which I didn't think there was, within access. Printing within other programs is no issue. Other users have no problems viewing, editing or printing these objects. I'm mystified!!!

I would really appreciate some help!!
Thanks!
Kate Holy tek-tips batman!:-0

I'm pretty sure that you do this from Windows. Click START, SETTINGS, PRINTERS to open the Printers window. Right click on the printer you want to designate as the default and choose SET AS DEFAULT PRINTER.

-Larry

That might be the issue if I didn't have a default printer set up, but I do, and I can print from any other application with no problems. Also, there are no other printers installed on the computer. So all I can figure is that there is some printer setting in access that I don't know about. But that still doesn't really explain why I can't even open the reports, or why access seems to think there is more than one printer, and doesn't like one of them. It's all very weird and makes zero sense.

Holy tek-tips batman!:-0

Odd...
Perhaps the database has an AutoExec macro that is trying to display or print a report on opening the database. Does it help if you hold down the SHIFT key while you are opening the datbase?

-Larry

Go into the Page Setup for the report in question.
Click on the Page tab. You will see an option to Use Specific Printer.
Perhaps this is where your problem lies?

Opening the database is no problem. I tried opening it with the shift key down, that didn't solve the problem.

I get the same message when I try to open the page setup of a particular report.

Ok, so I highlited a report and used the file/print command, and it worked. That makes extra double no sense.

This is mighty confusing. Holy tek-tips batman!:-0

In addition, this seems to be the case with every database, not just this one. Holy tek-tips batman!:-0

I have been having exactly the same problem, but it has only started happening since a new printer was installed and it is set as my default. I get some different error messages like:

"The instruction at "0x77fcs1f7" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be written."

- which is nice.

As well as some saying that I do not have a default printer set up, when I know I do.

Did you ever find a solution Katiekat? I have tried all the suggestions from the replies here. This has crippled my database! help! thanks Don:eek:(

Try opening the report(s) in design mode and doing the print set up (file menu).

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Thanks, I have tried that and it crashed even trying to open a report in design mode.

I have managed to get round the problem now by changing the default windows printer to the old one and then setting the new one as a specific printer for each report in the report print properties. It is a very long way round though as I had to do this for every report in the database and I expect that I will have to repeat the process anytime another printer is installed as the reports now print to a specific printer and not the windows default.

Mmmm.

Just a thought, but have you tried a repair? (TOOLS, DATABASE UTILITIES, REPAIR DATABASE)

-Larry

Yeah tried a repair too! No luck.
I think my database just doesnt like meeting with strange printers.
thanks anyway

Here's what was going on with me:

We had the wrong driver on the network printer. So we proceeded to reinstall it on the server with the right drivers. I installed this "new" printer on my computer, then uninstalled the old one and set the new one as my default. I don't know if the order matters, but I there it is anyway.

I'm not really sure why this worked, as no one else on our network had the same problem, but that's what fixed it for me.

All in all, it was pretty mysterious.

Hope this helps!
Kate Holy tek-tips batman!:-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back