Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Odd Excel Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igawa29

MIS
Jan 28, 2010
US
I would have googled help on this but I wasn't sure how to explain the problem in a google form, here is the issue.

I have an Excel file with hyperlinks embedded throughout, and these hyperlinks will work on my local drive. The problem is I have uploaded this file to my intranet site, and when I open the file from there (within the browser) the hyperlinks will not work. If I click edit hyperlink and delete and readd just one letter, and confirm, the hyperlink magically works when I click on it again. This is just such an odd problem, I have never encountered before.

The hyperlinks are linking to local drives and not websites, I don't think that should matter.

Any help would be great, either direct answer or what I might google for this issue.

Thanks,

Hmm it didn't like that. Here is an example of one link that I have out there:

File:///\\ServerA\SubFile\Manny Moe and Jack\JOE\Igawa\ABC\ABC_DFG\Yankees\HIJ\HelloWorld.TXT

When I save the Excel doc to my desktop they all open that TXT file.... but though the internet browser.. I get "File Not Found"

I tried the URL coding and it did not work for me. It kept trying to add my C drive path to the code.

Have you tried it without the File:///? You shouldn't need that at all if you're using the Excel HYPERLINK() function, just the path name (and I would think that any browser understands the \\server\path\ nomenclature)

Not sure about Excel, but in Word in many cases hyperlinks attach to the local folder. If you move the file without moving the files that it is linked to, you get a hyperlink that can't find the file it is looking for. If you do the full server\path\file nomenclature it should find it regardless of where the file is.

The File:/// is auto added by Excel I start with \\ServerA

The weird thing with this is that I can save the Excel to my C drive, another person does the same thing with their C drive and we are both able to open.. but put out in an internet browser and forget it.

I tried each of your suggestions to no avail.. that is why this issue has me stumped.

In a search engine look for [red]excel hyperlinks unc path[/red]

Canadian eh! Check out the new social forum Tek-Tips in Canada.
I should live a long time - I eat a lot of preservatives.

xlhelp, thanks for the suggestion but I hit a dead end again. I tried putting my formula into the unc path:

=hyperlink("\\share\path\filename.xls","Click me")

However when I click on the link it says "File Not Found" and when I check the link it is trying to open I find that the link has changed:

file:///C:\Documents and Settings\me\destop=hyperlink(%22/share/path/filename.xls%22,%22Click%20me%22)

Thanks again for all the suggestions, but this is just one tough nut to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back