Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very newbie to Cisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstew

MIS
Apr 12, 2002
US
I work for a small company were we recently purchased 2950's to replace all our 3com switches. Figured we would go with a higher quality product. Dropped in 3 2950's all connected via SX GBIC modules and now the network is slow. I have done the usual things like assign IPs, Default GW, and Subnet but still no luck. I am just guessing that you shouldn't have to do much config work on these to get much speed out of them especially when comparing them to our old 3com 3300's. Anyways, I have looked at port stats, and have noticed that some ports are showing errors, but nothing that I would call excessive (< 10). What does portfast do for you? I have heard that you should enable it for all ports connected to a pc. Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks!

jstew

Portfast is used for spanning tree. It tells the switch not to include that port in the spanning tree domain. You would enable it for end station connections, ie ports that connect to pc's / servers / printers etc.

I would make sure that the end station ports are hard coded for speed / duplex ie 100 full instead of auto.

Also how have you got the three switches connected. Are you using the stacking gbic's ? ?

see this link for more info,

Thanks for the reply! I have them connected using SX Multimode GBIC's, not stacking ones. Are the stacking GBIC's what I should be using instead? Let me know if I should change.
Thanks,
jstew

You will get better throughput if you stay with what you have. When you use the stacking GBIC's it is a half duplex shared port.

Besides that enable portfast like sharkyj72 said, &quot;pc's / servers / printers etc.&quot;

You should have great throughput. Is everything on the same VLAN?

If possible can you post your configs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back