Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very newbie needs a little help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornercuttin

Programmer
Feb 21, 2006
US
im extremely new to cisco, so of course, im having a little trouble getting my initial setup working.

basically, im just wanting to hook up my switch to my dsl gateway and then hook up my servers to the cisco switch and assign them static ip's.

i have 5 available static ip's and then the dsl gateway has a static ip(netopia 3300 series). before i have just been plugging my servers into the gateways, but things have grown...

what i have done is connected the switch to the gateway(port 1 on the switch), assigned the switch ip address and assigned the port 1 address. i made these the same address. is that a bad thing? i also made sure to assign the gateway address to the cisco switch. i then plugged my server into port 2 on the cisco switch, assigned it a static ip on the cisco switch and assigned the right ip on the server(linux). i have a windows box connected to the gateway right now until i can get things working.

the problem i am having is that i cant get the linux server to get beyond the gateway. on the linux machine, i can ping the switch and the windows box that is connected to the gateway. from the windows box, i can ping the linux machine(along with anything else on the internet). the cisco switch can ping everything too, so i just cant seem to get the linux beyond the gateway.

is there something that i am supposed to change in my gateway so that i can start assigning static ip's through the cisco switch?

anything help would be great. im just trying to get started, and i dont have much to go off of but this stupid book that doesnt tell me anything i need to know.

thanks

ive figured out that the problem is not the switch at all, but the linux computer.

ive somehow set the static ip incorrectly. i can ping everything on my local net, but cant get outside of the gateway.

any hints?

thanks

The gateway of the linux box must be whatever is doing the layer 3 routing on that subnet .

Assign your default gateway on the servers to be that of the Netopia ADSL gateway's static IP address.

yeah, through a lot of trial and error, i figured out it is the linux box.

the gateway wasnt set, but whenever i try to set it (via the route command), it sets the default gateway, but whenever the interface(eth0) goes down and comes back up, that entry in the routing table is deleted.

is there a way to save the routing table? whenever i restart the interface and type "route", i get what was in the table before i added the gateway.

thanks. sorry it took me a while to figure out that it wasnt the switch at all.

The Linux route command only adds a route temporarily to the box until it is rebooted. You will need to add the default route permanently. How you do that may vary depending on the floavour of Linux you have there.

For Redhat, your default gateway is set by the variable GATEWAY in /etc/sysconfig/network file

You can also set The GATEWAY variable in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth? file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back