Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very full queue SMTP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockChalk

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
US
My SMTP Queue is getting big. My outbound emails aren't getting out.

What is my first steps in fixing this problem.

RC

I have a DNS problem.
I have microsoft and watchguard on the phone.
Thanks
RC

Now that I said I have the DNS fixed. Our que is getting a lot of messages from postmaster@mydomain.com
It seems as if they are spam messages.

Does anyone know what is happening.
RC

One possibility: Server sending NDR's to spam emails
Stop NDR's on Server and see the queue
thanks
sam

I just went thru everything again to make sure that I'm not an open relay. Which we were with 5.5.

I didn't have the option "Accept messages without notifying sender of filtering" I just ckecked it and clean up the queue. I will keep an eye on the queue. I took me awhile to find this option we are brand new to exchange 2k.

Any other things I need to check on our new server?

Sam thanks for your help.
RC

I still had some postmaster@domain.com in the queue when a got here today.

Any other suggestions?
RC

I wonder if one of your pc's may be infected with a virus. Scan your systems.

If that isn't the case, then you should uncheck the flag in your anti-virus software that sends an e-mail to addresses of e-mails that were infected with a virus.

I just went thru everything again to make sure that I'm not an open relay. Which we were with 5.5.

How do you know that you aren't a spam relay?

check out Put the public IP address of your mail server in, and see if you are currently listed.

I went thru this tutorial and checked.
I checked to make sure that NAV of exchange wasn't trying to send anything out. Here is one trying to get out. From postmaster@mydomain.com.

Envelope Recipients:
SMTP:return6347337@bounce01.godspeedhosting.com

NAV of exchange may not be sending the messages, but your local systems with NAV installed on them, may be sending the messages instead.

Use the Message Tracking Center to find all e-mails with return6347337@bounce01.godspeedhosting.com as the recipient. This will tell you who the sender is, then you can track down which user's e-mail sent it. With that information you should be able to find the pc that was used to send the 'Virus warning' message. Go to that pc and find out if the local NAV settings send the 'Virus Warning' when an infected e-mail is received.

Good luck.

OK I lied we are a open relay. Man I could have sworn that I checked everything. I'm looking into blocking.
Any help would be great. I'm looking at the FAQ.

RC

YUCK !!!

Inside the Exchange System Manager, expand the 'Servers' icon, expand the icon for the server you are using, expand 'Protocols', expand the SMTP icon, right-click the queue you are using, left-click properties, click on the 'Access' tab, click the 'Relay' button. (I hope I remembered everything)

What do you have selected here?

I have added my private network address here. It allows only those systems with our private network address to send/relay e-mail.

Only the list below.
Nothing in the list.

Then I have a check mark in the box
" allow all computers which successfully auth to relay, regardless.

RC

Put your private network address in there. That should do the trick.

Once you get it 'fixed', you're going to need to go to the major 'Open Relay Database' websites and have them test your system.

Go here... .On the left-hand side of the screen you will see a 'Spam Database Lookup' box. Put your public IP address for the mail server in this box. It will list the major websites that have you listed as an open relay. You will need to visit the ones that have you listed and have them 'test' your e-mail server for an open relay condition. If you are 'fixed' it will still take up to 2 days before you are removed. If you cannot wait 2 days, my advice is to let them test you, make sure that they say you are 'fixed', then register another public IP address in your MX record that points to the new IP address. I hope you have a handful of IP addresses to work with or you will have to wait at least 2 days.

Good Luck !!!

I'm not listed on the RBLs which is lucky I guess.
What address do I add. My workstation range or just add my servers? or both.
Sorry new to this stuff.

RC

What is the public IP address for your e-mail server?
What is the domain name for your e-mail server?

I was refering to the relay option.
What addresses do I put in the relay option.
The private network addresses of my ip range of workstations or servers or both?

Sorry didn't explain.
RC

So if we only have one exchange server should we leave it empty?

RC

No, put something in there. If you click on the 'add' button inside the 'Relay Restrictions',you have three choices...

A single computer.

Group of computers.

Domain.

You will need to decide what is best for you. I use 'Group of Computers' because I have servers that are not part of my domain that need e-mail to be relayed. I don't know what would be best for you however, have you looked for a consultant? That would be my advice, just to get you guys started and cleaned-up.

Thanks for your help.
I had my network scanned externaly and open relay is the only real problem that the scan decovered.
We may have to look at consulting because we are so new to exchange 2000 which is totally different than 5.5.
We went thru bring up a brand new domain and wasn't planning on cutting over to exchange 2000 until a later date. Our exchange 5.5 didn't make the cut over to the new domain and crashed. So we learned as much as we could of exchange 2k in three days.

Anyway thanks for everyones help again. We will get this fixed.
RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back