Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very frequent ado errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedconcrete

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2015
US
The issue I'm having is constant ado errors in the event log of the Goldmine server. Everything seems to be running nomrally, but these errors persist.

About our environment:
We used to have two pe2950's. One was a Citrix server and the other ran all of our applications including Goldmine. Late last year we upgraded to a single server that runs all of our applications in their own vm's. We'd had these same ado errors with our old server and we have them now as well.

We have about 10 remote users that all log on to our RDS server which then launch Goldmine from a shared drive where Goldmine is installed.

About Goldmine support:
I've called Frontrange about this twice. The first guy said this was "normal". The second guy said that this was a networking issue and they couldn't help me. This very well may be true, but I don't have a whole lot to go on and Google hasn't been very helpful.

This is the event in the event log I get over and over sometimes as often as 3 times per minute.

Code:

The code tag doesn't seem to have worked and I can't find the edit button.

The description for Event ID 0 from source GoldMine cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

GM version: 2014.1.0.503 R Thread ID 12304:

ADO Error in AdoConnection::eek:pen failed to open ADO connection
Com Error IDispatch error #3149
HRESULT : -2147217843
Description: Login failed for user 'sa'.

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

One final piece of inromation is that this error I'm getting shows up on all of our clients. On the Goldmine server I get a matching "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. [CLIENT: 192.168.1.xxx].

advancedconcrete (IS/IT--Management)
(OP)
30 Mar 15 15:14
One final piece of inromation is that this error I'm getting shows up on all of our clients. On the Goldmine server I get a matching "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. [CLIENT: 192.168.1.xxx]."

This sounds like an intermittent connectivity issue and/or an actual credentials error. Make certain that the user has a login for the Server as well as a login for SQL Server. The same holds true for the Passwords for each.

DJ Hunt
Phone: (978)2-3333
- GoldMine Premium - The Definitive Guide
- One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )

The users never lose connectivity so if it is a connectivity issue it's unnoticeable to the users. As far as SQL logins Goldmine uses the encrypted sa password in the dbalias.ini to make its connection with the server. There's no way any of the users are using the wrong password as they are all using the same dbalias.ini on a shared drive.

I would make sure that Ports 1433 & 1434 are open for SQL Server on these Server.

I would make sure that I ran the Client Configuration Tool on each desktop, and confirm that Named Pipes & TCP/IP are both enabled in the Protocol section. I would then Order the Named Pipes as position 2, and TCP/IP as position 3.

On the SQL Server I would make sure that the Service SQL Browsing has been Started.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

DJ Hunt
Phone: (978)2-3333
- GoldMine Premium - The Definitive Guide
- One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )

Take a look in the user properties, ACCESS tab and see if they have a username/password specified there for SQL. Update/verify it and see if the errors persist.

Doug Castell
Castell Computers

I think you may be onto something goner. I did as you said and I found a few users that this info was blank. I filled it in and today I had no errors from those machines. I'm still getting the message from my RDS server which has roughly 10 users so I'll have to update the users that did have the user/pass filled out just in case it is incorrect like you mentioned. Anyway, thanks!

No problem.

As a side note, I think what you're seeing with those errors is relatively innocuous. It's just GoldMine going through its SQL login fall back progression.

When a user logs into GoldMine, the SQL login used is in any of a number of places:
1. their user properties
2. the database properties (tools|databases|open databases|properties of each)
3. the Alias properties (tools|databases|alias manager|properties of each)

It will try to use the one closest to the user and fall back, as necessary, through the progression as it finds them empty/wrong.

Doug Castell
Castell Computers

Ok thanks again. For the first time in years I haven't seen that ado error in the event log. You could teach GM support a thing or two :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back