Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

very basic question from a newbie--booting to DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyK

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
US
my boyfriend messed up his parents' computer and now he needs to get to the dos prompt on startup but we forget how. he's running Windows 95 and he doesn't have a boot disk. Before starting windows, what is the key combination you press to get to the DOS prompt as the computer is booting up?

Thanks so much in advance.

The key you are looking for is F8. That will bring up the boot selection screen.
fedto[cheers]

Thanks fedto! (You got one of those beers for me?) hehe

my friend swears he tried ALL the F-keys but he probably did something wrong. I'll pass the message along.

[thumbsup2]

There is only a split second to push the F8 key to get to the menu and it has to be done before the Starting Windows 95 screen shows.

I don't know if this will work in Windows 95 but I know it works in windows 98/98se. Try holding the CTRL key down from the time you push the power button on until the menu shows. ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Where I work some of the computers we have use F8 and others use Ctrl... some of them can use both.

Glenn

or [shift][f5] direct to dos with no drivers.
And this little fiasco is your license to nag him about the need for an emergency boot disk. And if he is that irresponsible he probably needs to be nagged about backup too. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

with regard to the f8 option.

this is not an option with 95.

i would say try f5. if this doesnt work for some crazy reason, try the left cntrl key.

also, if you simply want a dos prompt here are some other options:

start/run/command

start/programs/ms-dos

please let us know if these suggestions are helpful.

or [shift]+[F8].
Never can remember which ones go with which versions.
shift + f5 or f8 are with 95,95a. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

After you Boot your system and right after the MEM check
you press the F8 key. Do it a couple of times.

Thanks guys, F8 worked. He made a boot disk off my computer so everything is good now. I appreciate the help!

[thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back