Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vertical stretching divs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKdesignz

Technical User
Feb 2, 2005
NL
allright, i managed to stretch a div horizontally, now i bumped into another problem which you probably can guess...
vertical stretching :S, i put up a css file, so it can be examined more easily, my page is still very premature so normally i would make a css file when i got the design perfectly clear. enough talk, here are my codes

my xhtml:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">[/URL]

<html xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">[/URL]
		<head>
			<style type="text/css" media="screen">@import url(dcon.css);</style>
		</head>
		<body>
			<div id="topbar"></div>
			<div id="navbar"></div>
		</body>
</html>

my css:
Code:
body
{
	margin: 0px; 
	padding: 0px
}

#topbar
{
	background-color: green;
	width: 100%;
	height: 90px;
}

#navbar
{
	position: relative;
	background-color: green; 
	width: 90px;
}

Thou shalt be victorious!!

I want to stretch my div vertically on the left so it fills the whole left side even when the page overflows and people have to scroll down

Try putting the NAVBAR div at the end of the XHTML after all the content, so the page is fully constructed when the browser goes to format the NAVBAR div. Counter-intuitive, I know, but it might work.

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

ok, i get it.. but atm this is my whole page so the navbar div is already at the end. the problem is, when i render the page you can see the navbar, but it's not stretched, on the contrary, it's rendered just a bit :S

so i don't color the div? can you give a code example, so i can visualize what yo mean

Hard to show code, it's a graphic trick.

umm
Imagine the following is my background "tile"
Code:
< ------- entire width of my page ---------->

<-- nav --><--------- content area ---------->

So you have a thin, wide strip with the nav background colour at one end.
Put this as the background to your page body with CSS, like so

Code:
body { background:url(myImage.jpg) top left repeat-y; }

So the strip repeats vertically only leaving you with a full page that has a coloured strip down the one side.

Now, create your code as before, but set the background of your nav div to be transparent, showing the colour underneath.
It then doesn't matter if the div itself doesn't extend down the page as the page background makes it appear that way.

This may not be the right solution for what you wish to do, but it is much easier than making the nav div extend the full height of the window.

It's a trick called "Faux Columns" you can read a much better description of it at

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back