Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version Values for Proxy Address Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrixUSA

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
When attempting to create new email address I receive an error that refers me to the event log. In the application event log the following errors are logged:

An error occurred during file replication. Unable to find a file with the correct version number. Occurred during address generation.
followed by
The file version of 'C:\exchsrvr\address\SMTP\i386\<filename>.dll' installed on the local server is not current.

It repeats this error specific to each address generator.

Went in and modified (four did not match) version values for proxy address generators to match server build version. Double-checked ‘server name’ properties as well as each of the ‘proxy address generator object’ properties and all versions matched.

Still receive same error when attempting to create new address.

Any clue as to what's happening?
Thanks - PatrixUSA

I know this sounds simplistic, but I believe I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, after running out of disk space. Might be worth checking.

Just back from turkey day – hope everyone had a good one! Thanks dmandell – double-checked and have over 2GB of free space on drive array handling exchange server. Any other suggestions.

I would agree with brontosaurus, If after you reinstall the latest service pack if it does not solve the issue, I would search for other copies of the files that supposedly have version mismatches. If they exist and are in your &quot;path&quot; it could also cause an issue.

Remove (or rename them) and restart.

Dana

Thanks to all for the input – I’ll give the SP idea a shot and see how it works out. Should I stop any services (Exchange, etc.) to reinstall the SP correctly?

Re-applied SP and in fact updated to SP6a. Still get the same error when adding or editing an email address. I'm stumped... Any thoughts?

you reapplied the exchange SP and it didn't help? What exchange SP are you at?

whoops - misunderstood you to mean the OS SP - well - that's done anyway. Exchange is running SP4. I think this is the latest SP, isn’t it? I'll probably back exchange up and re-apply SP4 to see if that changes anything - agree?

Well – upon installation of the Exchange SP, at about 84% completion, I receive the following message and error:

Setup is starting the World Wide Web Publishing Service service.
Error:
The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
Microsoft NT
ID no: 0xc0020424

Once 'OK' is clicked followed by:
Installation of the software was interrupted before being completed, blah, blah, blah…

Nothing is ever easy is it? Any ideas???

are you using IIS on that machine? perhaps for OWA? If not, you can just uninstall IIS.

No, to my knowledge Exchange is not using Outlook Web Access so not running IIS. Is there any way to check to be sure? Checked services and processes, nothing there...

Go into Services, do you see IIS Admin service? How about the World Wide Web Publishing service listed? If so, try to start it manually. If not, you may have to install it from Add/Remove Windows components to get rid of that error....

I see none neither service, hmmm… The Add/Remove Windows components you speak of, where exactly would I find that to add that service? Are you talking about the add/remove programs in control panel? If so, would this service be on the OS install disk? What does this World Wide Web Publishing service do?

brontosaurus, thanks a bunch for your help...

go into Add/Remove Programs, then click Add/Remove Windows Components. Go into the details of Internet Information Server and choose the Web Server add-in. This will install IIS with World Wide Web Publishing. Basically, it's used for administration of any websites (including OWA).

I’m not seeing an ‘Add/Remove Windows Components’ button to click in the ‘Add/Remove Programs’ window. I’m running NT Server 4.0 - the only tabs that show up in the ‘Add/Remove Programs’ window are an ‘Install/Uninstall’ tab and a ‘Windows NT setup’ tab. In the ‘Windows NT Setup’ tab I can add and remove components but there is no IIS component listed. The only components listed are: Accessibility Options / Accessories / Communications / Games / Multimedia and Windows Messaging. I’ve expanded and detailed each component and cannot find any reference to IIS or Web Server. I hope I’m not just missing it, I feel like an idiot – I’ve never even heard of this service. Please advise?

It's been a while, but isn't IIS part of the NT 4.0 Server option pack? Dana

DOH! I'm sorry, I should have known you had NT4 when you mentioned SP6A before...
Anyway, it's been a while, but I think in NT4 you need to go to Control Panel - Network - Add - Services and choose IIS out of there....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back