Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version problem with Windows Updates and IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsterkel

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
This is a wierd problem.

A home user has MSN 8.5 on Windows 98SE, using IE6.0. Approximately 6/5/2003, their MSN email client no longer will synchronize with their hotmail account. There is no errror message, but no emails are sent or recv'd. When the same account is checked via the hotmail account, the user can send and receive messages.

After several contacts with MSN support, we have reinstalled MSN, recreated the user, and followed their instructions on 'resynching' the client and the mail server, and reinstalled 'accessibility options'.

Finally MSN suggests that the user install an IE update, Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 813951. This isn't exactly what we are seeing, but is close enough to seem worth installing.

The windows automatic update does not detect any critical updates, so I downloaded this update directly, and try to install it. It gives an error message that another update needs to be installed before it (813951) can be installed. I download that update, but it gives an error message that IE6 SP1 must be installed before it can run.

We are already using IE6 SP1. I download and reinstall IE6 SP1, but the second update still won't run. It gives the same error as before.

Poking around a bit more, I find that the patch should have a higher rev number than the software being updated. This is not the case, but I can not find a lower version of IE, or a higher version of the patch.

Finally, I used the command line and tags to install both patches without version checking. This allows both patches to install, but there was still no change in the original problem.

In closing, I have 2 questions.

1) Has anyone seen an MSN/Hotmail problem like this?
2) Does anyone know what to do about these patches?

Any help or new ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,
jsterkel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back