Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version Or User Profile issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptCrusty1

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
US
I have a process that runs on Access2k build 9.0.0.6620 that runs in about 27 minutes on average. When I run this on a different pc with build 9.0.0.4506, the process runs in about 1.5-2 hrs. The PC's are identical in terms of hardware, i.e. 1GB RAM, same CPU, HD's defraged.

My biggest issue is with the other users/developers in my group. If they open my db from their PC's, or even just logged in to my PC, they get a message stating the the db can only be opened as Read-Only. Is this based on the User profile as assigned by the admins?

Any information/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks
Crusty

I live to work and I work to live.

Crusty,

Is the dataabase stored in a shared drive?

If so this may not have anything to do with the version of MS Access or the PC you are running it from. Maybe its a problem with network bandwidth or other similar constraints to the other PCs you are trying? Perhaps it would be worthwhile moving the PC you are getting good results with to another network cable to see if the results change? Make sure all other variables in your test remain unchanged.

You should be able to check the file/folder permissions by selecting them in explorer and viewing the properties. Failing that CACLS from a command prompt window may shed some light.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Ed,

Bandwidth could very well be a problem, however, we are all on the same switch. Wouldn't that eliminate that issue?

As far as network ID's are concerned, my manager confirmed that only 3 of us are pretty much unrestricted in terms of the user profile. In other words, I have admin rights to my PC, while the users that will ultimatley be using the app, do not - albeit greater permissions than the general user community.

Any idea about specific permissions or changes in the Access mdb that would bypass this?

Thanks
Rich.

PS, Trolls need food too...

I live to work and I work to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back