Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version of SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekohler

Technical User
May 4, 2007
CA
Hi, I was wondering about what version of SQL is installed on one of our servers. If I goto programs installed, it shows SQL Server 2005 is installed. But if I look in SQL Management Studio, the build on the this server is 8.0760 which I thought is a SQL 2000. The reason I ask is there are options missing, such as no credentials under security, no proxy option under SQL Server Agent and when I try to create a job, the option for integration services is missing for job steps. Do I need to upgrade this server or is it an incomplete install?
Thank you,
Michael Kohler

Run this in a query window:

Code:
SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), 
       SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), 
       SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Code:
SELECT @@VERSION

That gives you a version of SQL Server as string.

BUT the George's suggestion gives you more detailed information about it. Also if you want to use version info in your FronEnd code George's suggestion ifs the way. If you want just to check the version, hmmm, my suggestion tell it on more human way :)

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server 2000/2005.

Thanks to both replies, it turns out the server I was concerned about is a SQL 2000.

Try this
Code:
exec master..xp_msver

Testing displays the presence, not the absence of bugs.
If a software application has to be designed, it has to be designed correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back