Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbrk

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
US
Hi all,

Does anyone use a version manager to source control their crystal reports? If so, how? I have heard through the grapevine that there is a 3rd party solution for versioning crytal reports...any one else heard of this?

Thanks in advance

We use StarTeam for version control of our software and reports, but I think it's a bit pricey. There are some free, open source options though - check them out here.

-dave

Dave,

Thanks for your quick response. Have you heard of an interface into PVCS that integrates into Crystal?

Nick

Versioning Crystal Reports is easy, as long as you don't have Crystal Enterprise. You can use Visual Source Safe, PVCS (no plug-in, that I'm aware of), Rational ClearCase, etc...

If you have Crystal Enterprise, then there is no easy solution. Versioning becomes a little more tedious, because of the manner in which CE stores your reports in the File Repository Server.

~Kurt

Sorry to say but we have Crystal Enterprise..any ideas?

Unfortunately, versioning is very manual with Crystal Enterprise. It goes something like this:[ol][li]Check .rpt file out of your Version Mgmt software and save to your desktop (or wherever)[/li][li]Open the .rpt file in Crystal Reports and modify[/li][li]Save As over the same report within your Enterprise Folders (you'll have to log in to the APS through CE)[/li][li]Once you've saved the report to your APS, you'll need to Save the report to your hard drive, too.[/li][li]Once the report has been saved to both CE and your hard drive,you can check the file back in to your Version Mgmt. software[/li][li]Don't forget to refresh the report in CE (may be required), reset the login, parameters or schedule (as needed)[/li][/ol]

~Kurt

Kurt,

Thanks for the bad news. There has to be some kind of tool out there that interfaces entrprise to a version manager. Surely??

Nbrk

Not that I'm aware of :-( Part of my job is to manage CE deployments for various development projects. I ask about this at every conference I attend, but haven't heard any good news yet.

~Kurt

Kurt thanks for your input

Nbrk

You could always go for a low-tech solution - a version number in the header, which programmers update when they make a change.

We also use the special field Modification Date, but this gets re-set very easily.

Madawc Williams (East Anglia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back