Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version 9. Remote agent error!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stssol

MIS
May 21, 2003
GB
Morning All!

The error below has just started appearing on our Win2k SBS running Backup Exec Version9. It's the only server on the network + the backup has been running fine until now! And the backup job has not been modified in any way.
I've spent a ages going through the Veritas site but to no availe!

Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a000846b HEX
Final error description:
Device could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to Remote Agent for Windows Servers.
Make sure that Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target system.

Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance.

Dave.

Check to see if the 'Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers' service is 'Started' in Windows - Services. If not, see if you can start it.

There is a lot of reasons for the error you get. Maybe the service won't start, maybe someone changed the account the service uses to logon, network issues with the TCP/IP stack.

Good luck!

errr Me Too (sorry, but its true!)

I've just installed Backup Exec 9.0 on a new server (SBS2000) and it get the same error. I am backing up a partition to disk, the pre-processing stage seems to last an age (over an hour anyway) and it finally fails with that error about remote agent. The servive you mentioned is running and logged in as a Local System Account.

Does anyone know what is going on please?
Boff

Ah HA!

You mention of the service logins set me thinking. After a trawl of the manual I found a note saying that under SBS, the services must log in under the Administrator account. Its working!!

Thanks
Boff

Thanks alot guys for all your help! Changing the service logon worked a treat!

Thanks,

Dave.

I am having the same problem now. The backup server is Windows 2000 Server and the Data server with the remote agent installed is Windows 2003 Server. The service is setup to use the administrator login account on the remote server. The two servers can see each other and login to one another over the network. What else could be the problem?

dplotts the remote agent may be stopping during the backup.
Checked the system log for any service controls stopping.

The remote agent is running and the permissions are correct. There isn't anything in the system log.

I get this error in the job log:

Credentials CheckDevice : \\SERVER, \\SERVER\CCheck status : Error: a000846b, The job failed with the following error:
Device could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Remote Agent for Windows Servers.
Make sure that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target computer.

Ping the remote server by name from the backup server. Is it resolving to the correct IP?

I am having a simular problem with a remote agent on a Novell server... It starts the back up and in mid backup it says that it has lost the connection and can't back up the Post Office!!! I have tried all of the normal trouble shooting techniques... reinstalling, pinging, etc... I am actually on the phone with veritas right now!!!

I have a similar problem. I get an error of

Check ststus : error : a000846b, The job failed with the following error: Device could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Remote Agent Make sure that the Remote Agent for Windoes Servers is running on the target system.

I have checked the admin name and passwords in every place I can wether in Veritas or in Windows and made the the same. I have rebooted the server. The funniest thing is, the server that is failing is the server that has Veritas loaded on it and Veritas runs from. I have checked Veritas' site w/ hardly even a hint to the problem, and no sure fix.

Check for a hotfix that may have to be installed to keep the remote agent working.. I think there is one out there..blonde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back