Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version 9 Advanced vs. Developer Editions licensing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdw1958

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
US

The above link is a comparison. I have questions concerning the new licensing models. Has anyone had the chance to evaluate them?

What does "Deploy web applications with request queuing and caching capabilities to support variable user loads." mean when it is not assigned to developer. Does not the developer have the right to deploy the report server for up to 5 concurrent users like CRW.Net?

What does the '*Limited scalability for development and testing' next to ' Integrate report viewing into web and wireless applications' mean?

I was caught off guard by this new edition. How will it affect my deployment of vertical applications that integrate Crystal Reports.

I am still reviewing the license, but I think the key may be what happens to the 6th concurrent user. It sounds like on a Developer deployment the 6th is simply bounced (what happens now in 8.5) while with advanced he waits his turn and processes when a slot opens up. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Kenm

Are you saying here that the Advanced version has 5 licenses and is not a single user license? That would explain the bulk of the price differenece between the developer upgrade and the advanced upgrade - $315 versus $1,345 if I recall this correctly, Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
251-621-8972
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

dgillz,

Not exactly. Even Professional edition has Crystal Enterprise with 5 concurrent users. I think advanced allows you to more efficiently use those 5 slots by using a queue for the 6th person, rather than them getting a 'try again later' type message. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

So does the CR V9 not include a 5 user Crystal Enterprise? Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
251-621-8972
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

I am pretty sure that it does. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Yes. And can anyone think of a reason why they didn't synch the version numbers? Apparently they didn't want to start CE with v1.0 so they picked a number that is .5 away from the partner product?

It would surprise me if they dropped the first 5 free seats, but CD has surprised me before. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

I still am at a loss as to the price difference on the upgrade to Advanced versus the upgrade to Developer. I'd love to know what I am getting for my extra grand. I have looked at the comparison page, but I don't see the attraction. Then again, I am not a web page developer.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
251-621-8972
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

One of the main differences, that you used to have to pay for independently, is that you can use the report creation versions of the components to create your own "report designer" on the fly within your application. A lot of the license issues involve your agreement not to create a stand alone report designer. This is a hunk of the value.
A CD person has also told me that the version 9 report server restricts to 3 concurrent threads rather than concurrent attached users. Therefore a user who goes to lunch while previewing a report won't lock out others as long as the report is not "actively using a thread". Additionally, the report server for Advanced is supposed to have a bunch more threads. He mentioned "20", but I am not absolutely confident in what I heard since it does not match what I remember from CDUGNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back