Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version 8.5 Suppress subreport

Status
Not open for further replies.

UHsoccer

Programmer
Apr 24, 2003
US
I have a subreport in Ggroup Header 2, all sections in the subreport are suppressed and I even formatted using "Suppress Blank section" (on suggestions from other threads)

I also reduced the size of the subreport in GH2 as small as possible

When I run the report I scan through about thirteen hundred (1300) companies, but because of certain criteria, I only need to report on about eighteen (18) of them. I still get a blank space for all of the other 1280. So instead of a half page I get fifteen (15) pages of output!.
That just looks stupid to the recipient.

I know in V 9 and up there are ways to suppress the Blank section, but how to clean that up in V8.5?

Hi,
What are the subreport's links?

Why in the GH and not the GF?

If the main report's criteria eliminates all but the
18 companies you want info on, the link from those companies to the Sub should result in only 18 companies in the sub...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I cannot eliminate a company untill the subreport looks at the contracts for that company and the decision is based on (among others) how many hours are left on the support contract.
If the answer lies within the user psecifedi criteria (like "list if fewer than 10 hours are left"), then I want to list it

I return the data back from the subreport as a "shared variable" and I use that to control output in the Group Footer section

Is it feasible to reverse the logic? Move the subreport functions to the main report and the main report functions to the subreport?

Failing that, the only other possible method is a stored procedure using SQL, if your set-up allows.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

The other approach you could try (if you have a facility with arrays, which I don't), is to place the subreport (unlinked, but grouped) in the report header and then use arrays to pass the (shared) values you want suppressed to the appropriate group in the main report.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back