Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version 5 for Ethernet Routing switch 5510,5520,5530

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1227

MIS
Jun 1, 2005
HK
Hi all,

Anyone tried Ethernet Routing switch 5510,5520,5530 software release version 5.0.
It's now support VRRP and OSPF like a Passport 8600.
I can make use of two switches as a core in cheaper way.

Any comments ?

I haven't seen that 5.x have been officially released yet, but I have some simple static routes in 4.2.x. They worked fine but it took me a little while to stumble through the CLI interface when setting them up.

I have heard that Nortel is planning on charging a 'license fee' to unlock 'advanced' features like SMLT, VRRP, OSPF, and IP Fix exports in the 5.x code. It still might be cheaper than an entry-level 8600 though.

Of course I'd wait for 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 before putting these new features in production...

good choice!!! but don't expect for 55xx to have a large ip routing table or multicast routing done.

Anthony is correct about there being a license fee for the 5500 series switches to unlock the dynamic/advanced routing support:

Ethernet Routing Switch 5500 TBD Enterprise Advanced Software License (OSPF, VRRP, SMLT, ECMP, IPFIX full export) - Licensed per switch/stack

MSRP $3,995
WPP $2,497

There are other nice features in V 5.0 such as RIP, routing policies/resdistribution, VLACP, 802.1x accounting (finally), TACACS+ support, etc.

It stinks that they're charging for this hash, and we have complained to Nortel but alas, to no avail. Sitnking Cisco with their "Enterprise" licenses really set the precedent unfortunately. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back