Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Version 4.3 Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfbernalc

Vendor
Jun 5, 2003
CO
Somebody use Ellipse 4.3 version under Solaris 8 ?

Try Mincom in Denver (303 446 9000) and speak to the MMS unix guys. I am fairly sure they where playing with 4.3 and Solaris 8 towards the middle of 2002. It was not a production system but used for either development or testing so I am not sure how much work was done on it.

Bevan Walsh
Professional Services Manager
Design & Report Teams UK Ltd
bevanw@designreports.co.uk

Yes, we were. When I was working for MMS last year I was playing with a 4.3.1 system (can't remember if 4.3.1.2 or 4.3.1.1) under Solaris 8 and Mincom TP. I was playing around with Oracle 7 and Oracle 8 for a database conversion test I was doing at the time. It was never in production but I did get a system up and running on both Datbase version on a Sun Ultra 5.

But, for best protection, I'd suggest speaking with the Mincom Help Desk closest to you (you don't say where you're from) and have them certify it against the folks in Brisnbane. Keep in mind I don't think that Mincom TP is supported any more and I never played with it with Tuxedo.

Steve Wales
Rio Tinto Services, Inc
Salt Lake City, Utah
stephen.wales@riotinto.com

4.3 is still MIMS, not Ellipse yet. I did a 4.3.1.2 implementation with Tuxedo on Solaris 8 in North America a few years ago, so that works just fine.

We are in the middle of discussion migrating from MIMS 4.3.2.1 to Ellipse. However, we do not think that we need the Reporting Solution (Business Objects) as we have another application that has similar functionality. I was wondering if anybody has such experience using the Ellipse without its reporting feature. Does it affect the system performance? Is there any significant cost reduction?

We are in the middle of discussion migrating from MIMS 4.3.2.1 to Ellipse. However, we do not think that we need the Reporting Solution (Business Objects) as we have another application that has similar functionality. I was wondering if anybody has such experience using the Ellipse without its reporting feature. Does it affect the system performance? Is there any significant cost reduction?

If your MIMS 4.3 system uses MincomTP as it's TP, then you will be able to upgrade to Solaris 8 or Solaris 9.
You will also be able to upgrade to Oracle 8i.
These are supported combinations when using MincomTP 3.008-12R.

If your MIMS system uses Tuxedo, then you will be able to upgrade to any current combination of software.

Either way you should contact Mincom and ask which components of your system need to be upgraded in order to operate on Solaris 8 (or 9). Please mention the release of MIMS you have and the combination of software (Solaris/Oracle) you wish to upgrade to.

ADIN, you can implement Mincom Ellipse without upgrading to the new reporting solution. This will mean that you will continue to use the old reporting tools within the product and any additional tools that you might have in place.
Of course Mincom will not support the old tools forever and there are a number of benefits to be gained with implementing the new reporting tools. E.g. a single reporting tool leading to reduced training costs, a non-proprietary reporting tool, reporting output including graphics etc.
This will come down to a cost/benefit equation for you but it is worth doing the exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back