Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Verrrry Slow BackUp Speeds...HELP! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEG78

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2004
US
System Details: Windows 2003 Server, BackUpExec 9.1, Dell PowerVault 122T Tape Unit, Adaptec SCSI Card.

I have everything setup and running, but I am only getting 4MB/min! I have tried absolutely everything I can think of, which is not much.

This is my first install with BackUp Exec, I have only used ARCserve w/ Novell in the past...

Any suggestions??

One more thing... The 4MB/min is for local files! Not even going across the network!

I purchased a new NAS server with a LTO tape library system from DELL. The drivers for the SCSI card were so old and Dell had nothing else worth while, so I got the drivers from the mfgr. My through put went from about 75 MB/sec to about 450 MB/sec. Check it out!

Already have the latest drivers for the SCSI card...

This is driving me insane!

Is your antivirus running an scan or download when you are trying to back up the information store? This ALWAYS slows down the backup, because the antivirus sees 'ON-ACCESS' of the mailbox and could be doing an active scan. Apparently this is an issue with both Symantec and McAfee.

Hope this helps!

I have turned it off. Makes no difference.

Hi

I have the same problem. Running Backup Exec 9.1, Windows 2003, Dell Poweredge 2600, Dell PowerVault 120T DDS4 Autoloader connected to Adaptec 39160 SCSI Card.

I have updated all drivers to latest version, and still only get a rate of 4mb/min.

It was running fine (160mb/min)

I think the problem started when i upgraded the BIOS on the SCSI card to 3.10.0.

I am going to try and put BIOS back down a level, and will let you know if that helps

Darren Bird

have checked everything, and looking at the dates on the scsi card bios, it was already at the latest version.

I have recently upgraded the system BIOS to A10, and also updated the firmware & drivers for the PERC 4di raid card. I rolled all these back to the version they were before, but am still getting a rate of 4mb/min

I have put everything back to the latest versions, and am still trying to trouble shoot.

I have made sure that all hotfixes are appplied for veritas.

anyone have any ideas where to go next?

FIXED IT, HURRAY

I checked back all the maintenace logs to try and tally up what was changed before the back stopped working.

The only thing i hadn't changed back to the way it was before was the scsi card driver. I changed this to the generic one provided by windows (when you select driver from update driver, select the one with generic in brackets) and hey presto it worked.

I the re-applied all the other updated, ie bios's raid drivers etc, and it still works.

So its looks like the adaptec drivers, provided by Dell have problems with backup exec 9.1.

I will be contacting Dell about this and will keep you all up to date.

FIXED IT, HURRAY

I checked back all the maintenace logs to try and tally up what was changed before the back stopped working.

The only thing i hadn't changed back to the way it was before was the scsi card driver. I changed this to the generic on provided by windows, and hey presto it worked.

I the re-applied all the other updated, ie bios's raid drivers etc, and it still works.

So its looks like the adaptec drivers, provided by Dell have problems with backup exec 9.1.

I will be contacting Dell about this and will keep you all up to date.

It was a problem with the Drivers provided by Dell. Also, for some reason the drivers Adaptec supplied on their website did the exact same thing. I contacted Dell, and they immediately knew how to solve it. He sent to Dell's FTP server and had me download new drivers. Problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back