Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Verizon Cell Phones to our 800 number fail 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeMonkey

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2007
US
Hello,

We have an 800 number which arrives at our business as a forward to a DID number. Some Verizon Cell Phones can dial the DID but can't connect if they try the 800 number which ends up at exactly the same place. On our Nortel Meridian I Using ld 96 ENL MSGI 0 I get:

-When calling the DID number direct-
DCH 0 UIPE_IMSG CC_SETUP_IND REF 000054AB CH 10 1 TOD ...
CALLED #:2148 NUM PLAN: E164
CALLING #:(CELL PHONE NO) NUM PLAN: E164

DCH O UIPE_IMSG CC_DISC_IND REF 000054AB CH 10 1 TOD ...
CAUSE: #16 - NORMAL CALL CLEARING

-When calling the 800 number-
DCH 0 UIPE_IMSG CC_SETUP_IND REF 0000542B CH 10 1 TOD ...
CALLED #:2148 NUM PLAN: E164
CALLING #:(CELL PHONE NO) NUM PLAN: E164

DCH O UIPE_IMSG CC_DISC_IND REF 0000542B CH 10 1 TOD ...
CAUSE: #31 - NORMAL UNSPECIFIED

The recording either says "Your call did not go thru... try your call again 075p"

or

"All circuits are busy please try later... announcement 8 switch 96-27"

Can anyone tell me what the Cause #31 may mean? At the Switchboard the calling number appears on the display as a 1/2 second flash several times but never allows a connection. Our provider is D&E Communications and they are working to resolve the issue.

Doesn't it have to be the way they are forwarding the call? Is there something unique with Verizon Cell Phones? Or is it possibly a setting in our switch that is rejecting the call for some reason? It worked fine up until two weeks ago. Thanks for your comments.

There's a known issue with OUTGOING PRI calls to certain carriers that are resolved by a patch (a problem with how the M1 handles a certain result code). Maybe its the same thing, only in reverse.

It sounds more like a Verizon issue. Can you make and complete the same call with other cell carriers with no problems?

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Johnthephoneguy,

Yes, I can call with no problem on my ATT KRZR and some Verizon cell phones seem to work sometimes.

big Verizon outage in the n kentucky, cincy area today, dont know , fyi

If you can call with other cells, then its a Verizon Issue, call them and report it. It might be related to the info Phonz posted or it might not.

JohnThePhoneGuy

Thanks, I always appreciate everyones advice. You know there is something that is a little different when you use an 800 or any toll free number. The company that owns the 800 number ends up paying the charge unlike other kinds of calls which the calling party pays for. Could this issue be related with some additional info being added to the call stream? I mean if my company will be charged for your call to my 800 number, how does this data get transmitted? Would this fact have a bearing on the call process or is it just an accounting trick?

Your Toll Free bill just includes the number of every caller and the duration of every call. The calls are are a set cost per minute and that calculates to your bill amount.

The problem you experienced is not unlike every other translation or routing error that can occur in a telecom network. It was either the network outage or the fact that VZ had a routing error in geting from their network to whatever carrier your toll free is provided by.

In a very large organization with many carriers, this is a weekly if not daily problem we report.

Of interest/trivia: There is no such thing as anonymous callers to an 800 number. You cannot your block your identity when calling a toll free number.

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

Adding to GHTROUTS trivia:

The reason you cannot block your identity is because the toll free call is being paid for by the company, not the individual making the call.

JohnThePhoneGuy

And adding to GHTrout's post: troubleshooting translation issues AND convincing your carrier that you know what you're talking about can be two different things.

Thanks for all your comments. I wanted to ask if anyone knows what reason code 31 refers to in LD 96. The text says NORMAL UNSPECIFIED. This is on a Nortel Meridian I option 11c

Is it possible I have a setting in the switch that is rejecting these calls? Or on the DID specifically. Remember I can call directly with no problem.

I spoke to a tech at Verizon and she mentioned a problem in translation dealing with the "KIT" code. Does anyone know what she is talking about. I believe its a regional designation.

can you post a trace from for a failed call that also has the OMSG and time stamps? Curious if a facility message is causing the call to release. (use enl msgo xx)..

also, which carrier has the toll free number? Is it Qwest?
They were/are? previoulsy involved in a dispute with a wireless carrier and were blocking calls to Qwest toll free numbers (in all fairness to them, not sure this is still happening)

I wanted to update this case. The original theory that it was just Verizon cell phones was not correct. It can be a cell phone or land line. I have just today been working with the tech at D&E Communications. We tried to send the calls to a different number to see if it may be the particular setup of the phone. No luck. Then we took off the caller ID of the incoming call. That seems to have made it more likely that the call will connect. The Verizon cell phone was tested and the switch hesitated to connect but then it did. So we are making progress. But there are still calls not getting through.

I realize that this switch is complicated but which features control whether the call is accepted by the switch? I believe the switch is seeing something in the call stream it is rejecting. Where would I start to see if I need to make changes on my end?

Orangemonkey, I am curious if you ever resolved this and what the steps were.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back